Prerequisite for entry
Successful completion of level 2.
10 x 2-hour classes.
Aims and objectives
The aim of the course is to enable students to communicate in and understand Japanese on a number of practical everyday matters. Students should develop their ability of reading and writing sentences using more kanji. Cultural awareness will be further developed by using some topics such as positions in society and exchange of presents in lessons.
- Expressing ideas or giving information
- Quoting what someone says or said
- Giving direction
- Expressing a sense of goodwill or gratitude
- Asking for help
Main topics/themes to be covered:
- Discussing a football match
- Telling direction to get somewhere
- At an estate agency
- Positions in society
- Road and traffic
- Clothes in Japanese
- How to address people
- Custom: Exchange of presents
Linguistic structures/ Phonetics
Basic rules of the pronunciation of Spoken Japanese.
- The plain style (Polite style)
- I think …. …と おもう
- I say….. …と いう
- Noun modification
- When.. …とき、 …
- Particle を+verb (verb of movement)
- The te-form + あげる/もらう/くれる
- Conditional Expression （…たら…）
- Course book: Minna no Nihongo (shokyu 1) (Lesson 20 – Lesson 25) published by 3A Corporation
- Other material: Minna no Nihongo 1 Translation & Grammatical Notes (Lesson 20 – Lesson 25) published by 3A Corporation
- Kihon kanji 500 Vol. 1 published by Bonjinsha Co.,Ltd
In addition there is a wide range of language learning materials for self-study in the Self-Access Centre.