Concessionary rates are available for UCL students, staff and alumni, UCLH staff, and University of London students, staff and alumni (proof of affiliation must be shown to qualify).
UCL current students
UCL staff & alumni, UCLH staff,
*Due to the substantial discount for UCL students, we are unable to issue refunds for one- or two-term payments if you withdraw from the course (see Refunds, below).
How to pay
We only accept payment via our secure Online Store. When you apply during the enrolment period, you will be sent a direct link to the Store. You will not be permitted to attend classes if payment has not been made and no place can be reserved for you on a course until you have paid.
The cost of textbooks is not included in any course fees. Your tutor will discuss whether you need to purchase any further materials at your first class.
UCL DocSkills Language Support Fund
UCL postgraduate researchers who need to learn another language for their research may qualify for the DocSkills Language Support Fund. Please check the DocSkills pages for conditions and how to apply.
Terms & Conditions
- The Terms and Conditions for the Online Store apply to Evening Courses, subject to the special provisions set out on this page.
- Fees are required in advance. A place on the course will only be confirmed upon receipt of full payment.
- Applicants must be over 18 years old to enrol with us.
- To qualify for the UCL student rate, you must be a full-time student registered at UCL for the entire duration of your language course.
- Once enrolled, you cannot defer your enrolment to a subsequent course.
- As per the UCL Timetabling Policy, UCL operates a ‘short hour’ system, where classes begin on the hour and end at ten minutes to the hour to allow students and teachers to move between classes.
- We cannot offer refunds for classes that take place on the advertised day and time but which you do not attend, or are unable to attend because of unforeseen changes in your circumstances. The UCL CLIE cannot accept responsibility for unforeseen changes in a participant's circumstances that may prevent attendance.
- The UCL CLIE reserves the right to cancel a course, or replace a tutor if unavoidable. If a course is cancelled by UCL CLIE the cancellation process on this page will apply.
- If you are unhappy with a course, or with our handling of your refund, please follow the process set out at in the UCL Life Learning Framework, in particular section 2.12.
Refund Policy (withdrawal)
UCL students: Due to the substantial discount for UCL students, we are unable to refund student fees paid for one or two terms.
Students who have paid for three terms may cancel their place, provided that the course start is more than two weeks (14 days) away – see deadlines below. A One Term fee will apply, plus an admin fee of £50.
All other applicants: You may cancel your place, provided that the course start is more than two weeks (14 days) away - see deadlines below. Refunds are subject to a £50 admin fee.
All applicants: If the course starts within two weeks of your cancellation request, you would not be entitled to a refund. You may be able to join a different course instead, availability permitting.
Term 1: Withdrawal requests must be received by 25th September 2022
Term 2: Withdrawal requests must be received by 1st January 2023
Term 3: Withdrawal requests must be received by 9th April 2023
The amount refunded will depend on whether you paid for one, two or three terms, your fee category, and at which stage of the year you are withdrawing. Refunds are subject to a £50 admin fee.
Refund Policy (course cancellation)
All applicants: If we have to cancel a course, you will be offered the choice either to join a different course (availability permitting), or to receive a full refund.