Prerequisite for entry
For complete beginners or those who have had only very little contact with the language.
10 x 2-hour classes.
Aims and objectives
The aim of the course is to enable students to function at a basic everyday survival level. Students should be able to communicate in and understand Italian on a number of practical everyday matters. Language learning skills, including autonomous learning and how to approach some authentic material will be enhanced.
- Greetings, introducing yourself and others.
- Asking about pronunciation and spelling.
- Meeting Italian people formally and informally.
- Talking about your country/nationality and other people’s country/nationalities.
- Asking for someone’s profession.
- Talking about someone's free time
- Buying and ordering food and drinks.
- Talking about free time and leisure activities.
- Asking for the time.
- Organizing a holiday: booking a hotel, asking for information, raising a complaint.
- Giving one’s phone number
Main topics/themes to be covered:
- Introducing yourself. Greetings. The alphabet.
- First contact around nationalities.
- Job and professions.
- Numbers 1-100. Days of week, month, year.
- Hobbies and free time.
- Food & drinks – bar, restaurant – money
Linguistic structures/ Phonetics
Basic rules of the pronunciation of spoken Italian: (/k/ versus /tʃ/ and /g/ versus /dʒ/gli
- Gender and number of Italian nouns/some adjectives.
- Personal pronouns: subject pronouns.
- Negative and interrogative structures.
- Definite and indefinite articles.
- Present tense of regular verbs.
- Present tense of some irregular verbs (essere, avere, dare, fare, andare, bere, venire, potere, uscire, volere etc).
- Some prepositions (di, a, da, in…).
- Indirect pronouns with like/dislike (mi / a me…).
- Present tense of modal verbs (potere, volere, dovere).
- Nuovo Espresso 1. Libro dello studente ed esercizi. Chapters 1-5. ISBN 9788861823181.
- Handouts provided by the tutor.
- New Italian grammar in practice. Ean: 9788861824287
- Nuova grammatica pratica della lingua italiana. Ean: 9788861822474
Please note that the syllabus might vary according to class progress and availability of materials.
Do not hesitate to contact your tutor for further information.