Prerequisite for entry
Basic knowledge of Icelandic (successful completion of Icelandic syllabus 2 at UCL Centre for Languages & International Education or other comparable studies).
10 x 2-hour classes.
Aims and objectives
The aim of the course is to improve students’ elementary knowledge of Icelandic, to expand their vocabulary range, to learn new grammar structures and to enable them to communicate more confidently in everyday situations.
Please note, the syllabus is subject to minor changes depending on each group´s needs and progress.
- Recounting past events
- Talking about daily life
- Talking about travel (short trips)
- Talking about travel / life experiences
- To-to lists – how to say what´s been completed and how to say what still needs to be done
Linguistic structures/ Phonetics
- Consonant clusters / silent consonants
- Deletion of -a, -i and -u vowels
- Pronunciation of unstressed pronouns
- Revision of noun declension
- The Past Simple Tense (weak and strong verbs)
- The Present Perfect
- The compound verb phrase að vera búin/n
- The compound verb phrase að eiga eftir að..
- Teacher’s own worksheets
- Íslenska fyrir alla 3, kafli 8
- Glossaries from Colloquial Icelandic & Learning Icelandic
- Íslensk ensk orðabók - Iðunn
- Ensk-íslensk skólaorðabók – Mál & Menning
In addition there is a wide range of language learning materials for self-study in the Self-Access Centre.