Prerequisite for entry
Having completed level 4 or equivalent.
10 x 2-hour classes.
After 20 hours students may progress to level 5.
Aims and objectives
- to enable students further develop their skills (in listening, speaking, reading and writing) in Modern Greek in a variety of everyday situations;
- to further develop awareness of aspects of Greek culture within a European / global context.
A communicative method of teaching / learning is fostered, although aspects of grammar are covered as well. Students are aided to reflect on their learning skills and experiential / autonomous learning is encouraged, including the use of interactive ICT material.
Main topics/themes to be covered:
- further practice on exchanging information about family members, relatives etc…
- further practice on describing actions of the past
- giving orders, commands
- further practice on asking for and giving directions
- further practice on Greek habits and customs: name day etc…
- gathering information about specific events, dates etc… (use of interrogative pronouns and determiners)
- describing everyday routine by using adverbs that specify time and frequency
- describing events by using adverbial clauses of purpose (final clauses)
Linguistic structures/ Phonetics
- verbs: present/simple future/ simple subjunctive/simple past (reflexivity/reciprocity), deponent verbs
- articles: indefinite article (genitive case)
- nouns: genitive case (singular/plural)
- adjectives: genitive case singular and plural.
- adverbs: place etc…/adverbs formed from adjectives
- pronouns: personal (emphatic and weak forms- their role in a sentence)/ interrogative etc…
- numerals: cardinal, genitive case etc…
- embedded (subordinate) clauses: adverbial clauses of purpose (final clauses)
- The course is based on ΚΛΙΚ στα ελληνικά B1 / klik sta Ellinika B1 (by M.Karakirgiou and V. Panagiotidou, Centre of the Greek Language Publishers, Thessaloniki 2015).
- As well, the students will complete studying the story Έναν Αύγουστο στις Σπέτσες/ Spetses in August (by Cleanthis Arvanitakis, Deltos Publishers, Athens 1999).
- Greek for you Α1/Ελληνικά για εσάς A2 (by E. Georgantzi, E. Radopoulou et al, NEOHEL Publishers, Athens 2017).
- Greek for you B1 /Ελληνικά για εσάς B1 (by E. Georgantzi, E. Radopoulou et al, NEOHEL Publishers, Athens 2019).
- Greek Now 2 + 2, by Dimitra Dimitra and Marineta Papahimona, Nostos Publishers, Athens 2002 (textbook, exercise book and audio-tape)
- Greek, A Comprehensive Grammar of the Modern Language, by David Holton et al., Routledge, London 1999
- The 100 Word Exercise book, by Ioanna Psalti, g-and-w publishing, England 2000
- Akou na this, by Froso Arvanitaki and Lelia Panteloglou, Deltos Publishes, Athens 1998 (book and audio-tape)
- Learning Modern Greek, by Smaro Vogiatzidou, University Studio Press Publishers, Thessaloniki 2002 (textbook, exercise book, book for oral practice and audio-tapes)
- Greek is a game, by Fani Balsamaki et al., Aristotelion University of Thessaloniki Publishers, Thessaloniki 2003 (variety of activities)
- Στη χώρα του Αριστοτέλη / In the land of Aristotle, University Studio Press, Thessaloniki 1994 (videotapes)
- World Talk Greek, Eurotalk Interactive, 1999 (CD-ROM)
- Filoglossia 2, 3,4 Institute for Language and Speech Processing, http://www.xanthi.ilsp.gr/filog