Prerequisite for entry
Successful completion of German level 3+ at UCL Centre for Languages & International Education or for learners who have a good command of the language at B1 level and its main grammatical structures or have recently achieved a good grade at A-Level. Participants should have a good knowledge of all tenses.
10 x 2-hour classes.
After 20 hours students may progress to level 4+.
Aims and objectives
The aim of the course is to enable students who already have a good knowledge of German to acquire an advanced level. Students will be able to communicate in all situations within German speaking countries, converse with native speakers and follow debates on a wide range of issues as well as express themselves with more complex and linguistically accurate structures.
- Expressing a wide range of opinions and reactions (e.g fiction biographies, discussions, news reports)
- Debating, commenting, explaining, describing (e.g. architectural features, graphics, life advice)
- Improving reading skills using authentic material (e.g. understanding short text, autobiographical and literature text, book critics and letters)
- Improving listening skills using authentic material (e,g, radio features, interviews, city portraits, radio plays)
Main topics/themes to be covered:
Einstieg – Auf den ersten Blick
Introduction to B2.1
- Einheit 1 – Den Horizont erweitern
Talk about expectations and experiences, different cultures and overcoming prejudices
- Einheit 2 – Miteinander leben
Talk about forms of living and lifestyles, relationships in the digital age, problems at work and university
- Einheit 3 – Suchen und finden
Talk about internet research and finding a dream job
Discuss suggestions and plan for events
To talk about finding information, a job
- Einheit 4 – Auf Augenhöhe kommunizieren
To express critique and react to critics
The course content of this syllabus will be based on the contemporary society and current affairs in German speaking countries (Germany, Austria, and Switzerland).
Linguistic structures/ Phonetics
Drills on specific structures, Intonation and Pronunciation
Individual corrections during a session
- Modal particle
- Relative clauses ohne dass, ohne….zu
- Dative and Accusative Objects
- Verbs in all tenses
- Infinitive clauses, dass ...zu in the presence and past
- Nouns and adjectives with prepositions
- Noun - Verb connections
- Conjunctive 2 without würde
Reference sections of the following books might be used:
- Weitblick B2.1, Kurs-und Übungsbuch Cornelsen ISBN: 9783061225148 (online version recommended)
- Authentic material from various sources (such as German newspapers or magazines, books, German television programs, film extracts, music)