Prerequisite for entry
Successful completion of French syllabus level 5+ at UCL Centre for Languages & International Education or a high A Level grade (or equivalent).
10 x 2-hour classes.
Aims and objectives
The aim of the course is to enable students who are fluent in French to practice their linguistic skills through a variety of activities (debates, games, oral comprehension etc…). Students will be able to follow any debate, discussion or conversation as well as communicate in all situation using complex and linguistically accurate structures (different types of discourses, registers etc…). Cultural awareness will be further developed. Various transferable skills will be covered.
In this course students will have the chance to revise and perfect all previously studied functions.
Main topics/themes to be covered:
The content of this course will be based around a reflection on the nature of contemporary society and current affairs. Since the students in this course will be fluent in the language, the syllabus will remain quite flexible and various topics may be studied, depending on their interests (contemporary literary extracts, science, new technologies, cinema and art exhibitions, corporate life…)
Linguistic Structures/ Phonetics
- Recognising/understanding various register/accents
- Recognising/understanding any kind of discourse.
Perfecting all the grammar points previously studied according to students’ needs (tenses including present and past subjunctive, reported speech....)
- Course book: no course book will be used at this proficiency level.
- Authentic material from various sources (French newspapers or magazines, recent publications, French television programs, films, short videos from internet, etc…)
- In addition there is a wide range of language learning materials for self-study in the Self-Access Centre.
Bilingual Dictionaries: Collins/Robert
Monolingual dictionary: Petit Robert