Prerequisite for entry
Successful completion of French syllabus level 3+ at UCL Centre for Languages & International Education or a low A Level grade (or equivalent).
10 x 2-hour classes.
Aims and objectives
The aim of the course is to enable students who already have a good knowledge of French to acquire an advanced level. Students will be able to communicate in all situations within French speaking countries, converse with native speakers and follow debates on a wide range of issues as well as express themselves with more complex and linguistically accurate structures. Cultural awareness will be further developed and raised within European/global context. Various transferable skills will be covered.
- express consequences
- express probabilities and certitudes
- make previsions
- Expressing a wide range of opinions and reactions
- reporting someone’s speech at the present
- describe memories
- describes trips abroad
- Doubting, hoping
- Agreeing/disagreeing, accepting/refusing
Main topics/themes to be covered:
- New technologies
- Press and media
- Multicultural societies
- Social behaviours
- Values in life
- Political life and commitments
Linguistic Structures/ Phonetics
Introduction to the various registers/accents.
- Personal pronouns (all)
- Future tenses and time indicators
- Time and duration indicators in the past
- Using the subjunctive to express feeling, wishes and doubts.
- Expressing consequence in different ways (using adverbs, adjectives…)
- Expression of concession and opposition
- Course book: Le Nouveau taxi 2 (Units 7 to 9)- diffusion Hachette FLE.
- Tutor’s material.
- In addition there is a wide range of language learning materials for self-study in the Self-Access Centre.
Bilingual Dictionaries: Collins/Robert
Monolingual dictionary: Petit Robert