The UCL poster printing service is provided by the UCL Digital Media team, part of Information Services Division (ISD).
We are located in The Cruciform Building, Room G.08a, the entrance to this is on Huntley Street. For contact details, opening times and directions please go to our Contact us page.
We recommend that first-time users of our service always read through our Guide to Successful Poster Production (PDF) or call us on 020 3108 (5)9347 for advice on file preparation.
- For printing your poster, where possible we try to complete the work in 2 days, however please allow as much time as possible, as sometimes it can take up to 4 working days to print and laminate from correctly formatted files. You should always allow 4 days if you require lamination.
- Please supply a high quality PDF along with your original file.
- Posters are generally charged to your department, please check that this will be the case and ensure you have details of the person authorising IDT payment before submitting your poster. See payment options below for further information.
- We offer help and assistance in producing your poster, however please note, this is a bureau service and although we always check and anticipate for formatting errors, sometimes it is not possible to amend certain errors found.
- To produce your poster we use Canon PRO 4000s, iPF8400 and iPF6400 professional-quality inkjet printers that prints to 42 inches or 105cm wide. All posters are printed on high quality semi-gloss 195gsm paper, or a lightweight, foldable fabric. Alternative papers types are available upon request.
To help you UCL have produced poster templates, which you can find here:
- A selection of Poster Templates can be accessed by the link. (Please note you are required to use your UCL login details to access these files).
- For a simple selection of templates, click on the links to download:
- For all UCL posters you are required to add the UCL banner which you can download from:
Sending your completed poster file for printing:
You can email us or bring your file in person on any form of memory device, alternatively send via email attachment (no greater than 10 MB). Email files to firstname.lastname@example.org or if larger use OneDrive or the UCL Dropbox.
Requesting a poster
There are a few fundamental processes you need to follow when requesting a poster to be printed. To help us help you, please send the following information with your email:
- Your name & department.
- The size you wish your poster to be printed, e.g. A0, A1, 900mm x 600mm etc.
- The type of material, paper or foldable fabric.
- The software program and the version (e.g. PowerPoint 2013, Adobe CC Photoshop, Illustrator etc.) Also the computer platform you used to create the file, either Mac or PC.
- State if lamination is required and allow an extra 2 working days.
- Tell us the very latest date you can collect your poster.
- The cost of your poster is generally covered by your UCL department or research group, all payments are made through UCL MyFinance via an internal departmental transfer (IDT).
- To process the payment, please supply the details and of the name of the person / administrator who will be approving the IDT, without this, we cannot start the printing of your poster.
- To smooth the process, will raise an IDT in MyFinance, our details in MyFinance are Information Services Division and Helen Petterson is the contact.
- For external users of our service we can accept either credit or debit card payments.
- All UCL students are welcome to use our service. UG and PG students can pay by credit or debit card, where this is appropriate.
- For UCL staff, we have to advise that UCL Finance will not allow you to reclaim this as an expense and card payments will only be taken on this understanding. All card payments incur the additional VAT cost.
- Before collecting, it is always advisable to check with us that we have all the necessary information, as your poster cannot be released until we all have the correct payment information.
A basic guide to our charges can be found on our Rates page.
Quick Do’s and Don'ts checklist:
- Do leave plenty of time to have your poster printed.
- Do try to collect your work yourself to check it is correct.
- Do use high value dpi images (e.g. 100dpi at 1:1 final size).
- Do check your poster conforms to UCL Brand Guidelines & your conference specifications.
- Do supply a high quality PDF along with your original file. We print from the PDF so please ensure it is correct.
- Do save your file in the program it was made in: e.g. Save PowerPoint 2007 files as pptx.
- Always leave a border of 1.5cm to allow space for trimming.
- Don’t use transparency in PowerPoint.
- Don’t use high contrasting gradients in PowerPoint.
- Don't put the contents right to the edge of the poster (apart from the UCL banner).