Tools to help NHS staff who are undertaking systematic searches for best-evidence and critical appraisal.
Top tools for finding evidence for NHS users...
- Check the Queen Square Clinical Governance page (NB: UCLH intranet site - restricted to UCLH users).
- View a list of NICE guidelines relevant to NHNN.
- Try a search of Cochrane Library and TRIP database.
- Try a more general search using healthcare databases via NHS OpenAthens.
For access to these key tools and others, visit the UCLH Healthcare Evidence Resources website (NB: UCLH intranet site - restricted to UCLH users) and the UCLH Research Database, listing ongoing trials at UCLH.
- CASP: Critical Appraisal Skills Programme offers tools to help you critically appraise different types of article.
- CLIST trainers’ toolkit pages: Critical appraisal resources provides links to Critical Appraisal resource pages maintained by a selection of UK healthcare libraries.
...and a few more useful tools for finding evidence:
- BESTBets (UK) - Best Evidence Topics developed in the Emergency Department of Manchester Royal Infirmary, UK, to provide rapid evidence-based answers to real-life clinical questions, using a systematic approach to reviewing the literature.
- BMJ Best Practice - a point of care decision-making tool (UCL users).
- Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine (UK)
- Centre for Evidence-Based Mental Health (UK)
- Centre for Health Economics (UK)
- Cochrane Library - the primary source of information about the effectiveness of healthcare interventions. From the Cochrane Collaboration
- Current Controlled Trials - (USA) ISRCTN registry of clinical trials recognised by WHO and ICMJE (accepts all clinical research studies, whether proposed, ongoing or completed)
- NICE: National Institute for Clinical Excellence (UK).
- NiH RePORTER
- National Service Framework for Longterm Conditions (UK)
- NHS Centre for Reviews and Dissemination (UK)
- PubMed's Clinical Queries tool - a specialized PubMed tool to focus your search on particular clinical categories (etiology, diagnosis, therapy, prognosis).
- UK Clinical Trials Gateway - a searchable listing of health and social care research being undertaken within the UK
- UpToDate - An evidence-based knowledge system authored by physicians to help clinicians make the right decisions at the point of care.