Using the ONS LS
The Five Safes Framework
For safe use of secure data, including the ONS Longitudinal Study dataset, ONS’ Secure Research Service uses the Five Safes Framework. This is a set of principles adopted by a range of secure labs. These protocols provide complete assurance for data owners such as the ONS. The Five Safes are:
- Safe people – trained and accredited researchers are trusted to use data appropriately.
- Safe projects – data are only used for valuable, ethical research that delivers clear public benefits.
- Safe settings – access to data is only possible using ONS’ secure technology systems.
- Safe outputs – all research outputs are checked to ensure they cannot identify data subjects.
- Safe data – researchers can only use data that have been de-identified.