Put your research into practice outside academia and build a lasting relationship with funding support.
Who it’s for
You’ll have a partner organisation on board that’s based in the UK. It could be a business, charity, NGO or public sector organisation.
Your secondee will be a current UCL member of staff or PhD student. Early career researchers particularly benefit from the experience.
What projects could qualify
Your project must be linked to previous or existing EPSRC research outputs.
If your project doesn’t have an EPSRC link, please contact us as we may be able to find alternative funding.
Your proposal will need to:
- show how both partners will share their expertise
- make a measurable difference to both, for example by exploring the development of new products or services, changing policy or spreading scientific knowledge
Funding can support a secondment of up to 6 months full time or 12 months part time (6 months is the maximum for PhD students).
It can be used to cover all direct costs associated with the secondee.
What funding is available
You can apply for up to £30,000 from the EPSRC IAA 2017-20. Your external partner will be expected to match-fund the project with cash or an in-kind contribution.
When to apply and timings
Applications are currently closed while we update our systems.
Applications for amounts up to £15,000 will be considered over the summer from mid-June. You’ll be able to apply for larger amounts from September.
Dates will be published here shortly.
After you apply
- Your proposal will initially be assessed by a member of the team to make sure it matches the funding criteria.
- If it does, the Innovation & Enterprise Funding Committee and at least three members of UCL staff will then review it.
- They’ll pass their recommendation to the Vice-Provost (Enterprise) on whether to award, decline or suggest you submit again. She’ll make the final decision.
You’ll hear back from us around six weeks after the funding call closes.
How to apply
- Read our guide (pdf) for advice on completing your application and details on the documents we’ll need to see.
- Work out costs in our spreadsheet (Excel) and in Worktribe.
- Fill in the template for partner organisations and get letters of support (Word)
- Complete the application form (Word)
- Email your application and supporting documents to email@example.com
If you’d like to discuss your project or the application process, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), Impact Acceleration Account (IAA) 2017-2020.