The UCL IIPP is working to rethink how digitalisation and artificial intelligence can empower public value creation and public purpose.
Digitalization is not neutral. The outcomes of digitalization are a function of how digital technologies are governed. In turn, different frameworks addressing questions such as who designs and owns the infrastructure, how data is created and who manages it, and how value is created and destroyed through digitalization processes can create radically different outcomes. IIPP seeks to build a research agenda investigating how public and private actors can better relate to govern the direction of digital technologies and AI in society, driving potential for public value creation and radical visions of economic change.
This research agenda will focus on building out and refining a number of verticals, among them:
- Public sector digital capabilities:
- Varieties of Digital Capitalism
- Algorithmic Rents
- Governing AI for Public Purpose.
IIPP aims to create the frameworks and analytics tools understanding how digital technologies and artificial intelligence impact governance and value. Collaborating with key partners and funders across our networks, the IIPP digital technologies and AI program will work as a learning community around the narratives, funding, development, use, and governance of these technologies. This research will play a fundamental role as a cross-cutting research impacting IIPP’s perspective on global innovation and technology policy agendas, as well as how technology shapes IIPP’s other research areas and projects.
- Working Papers and Policy Reports
- Crouching Tiger, hidden dragon, Ilan Strauss, Tim O'Reilly, Mariana Mazzucato, Josh Ryan-Collins
- Public value and platform governance: Mapping Value Creation and Extraction in the Platform Economy, Mariana Mazzucato, Josh Entsminger, Rainer Kattel
- Public value and platform governance, Mariana Mazzucato, Josh Entsminger, Rainer Kattel
- Theorising and mapping modern economic rents, Mariana Mazzucato, Josh Ryan-Collins, Giorgos Gouzoulis
- Big Tech Must Stop Hiding, Project Syndicate, 31 January 2022, Mariana Mazzucato, Ilan Strauss
- Building a better data economy, MIT Technology Review, 11 March 2021, Tim O'Reilly
- Let’s imagine a different kind of platform economy, Sifted, 23 February 2021, Mariana Mazzucato, Rainer Kattel, Josh Entsminger
- Reimagining the Platform Economy, Project Syndicate, 5 February 2021, Mariana Mazzucato, Rainer Kattel, Tim O'Reilly, Josh Entsminger
- Preventing Digital Feudalism, Project Syndicate, 2 October 2019, Mariana Mazzucato
- Antitrust regulators are using the wrong tools to break up Big Tech, Quartz, 17 July 2019, Tim O'Reilly
- The fundamental problem with Silicon Valley’s favorite growth strategy, Quartz, 5 February 2019, Tim O'Reilly
News and Events