UCL is committed to creating ‘an accessible, publicly engaged organisation that fosters a lifelong community’ – open to all.
Inclusive Design Strategy
In 2020 UCL adopted an inclusive design strategy. It provides guidance to UCL’s staff, consultants and contractors on the inclusive design goals which UCL Estates seeks to achieve across its estate, whilst at the same time influencing education within the built environment.
3 key objectives
1. Create an inclusive campus, which is welcoming to all.
2. Embed inclusive design principles across all our estate and operations.
3. Ensure that UCL influences the inclusive design agenda at local, regional, national and international levels.
> View the Inclusive Design Strategy on the Estates website.
Progress so far
- Inclusive environments training - Key staff from UCL’s Estates Development Team learned about improving accessibility in 13 training sessions on inclusive environments.
- Inclusive design checks - Inclusive design checks have been embedded into the approval process for construction and refurbishment projects, including post-completion checks on the accessibility of the finished space(s).
- The Sunflower Lanyard Scheme - The Sunflower Lanyard Scheme is an initiative designed to act as a discreet sign that somebody has a non-visible disability and requires additional assistance while out in public. The scheme has provided 250 lanyards to staff and students, 750 more are available when needed.
- Changing places toilets - UCL has installed four new changing places toilets. They are accessible and provide sufficient space and equipment for people who are not able to use the toilet independently.
> Read our 2021 Inclusive Environments annual report (pdf)
- Act on all objectives that underpin the vision in the Inclusive Design Strategy.
- Develop a long-term training programme for Estates Development and Estates Operations staff that will increase their inclusive design knowledge.
- Baseline mapping of accessibility features. Starting with mapping all wheelchair-accessible toilets.