Prof Chaozong Liu
Professor of Orthopaedic Bioengineering
Department of Ortho and MSK Science
Div of Surgery & Interventional Sci
- Joined UCL
- 16th Sep 2013
Chaozong Liu is a Professor of Orthopaedic Bioengineering. His current research is directed toward the biomaterials processing and development of enhanced medical devices for treating musculoskeletal disorders, tissue repair and regeneration. This is a growing area of interest at UCL Surgical & Interventional Science. His research in this area is supported by Arthritis Research UK, Innovate UK, Horizon2020, EPSRC MeDe Innovation Centre and RoseTree Trusts, and from Fitzpatrick Referrals Ltd. He has developed a new osteochondral scaffold technology that is likely to have a strong potential in regeneration of bone and cartilage for early intervention of osteoarthritis. A glimpse of how this scaffold will perform has been given, with promising results, by Professor Noel Fitzpatrick of the Channel 4 TV series Supervet, where it was implanted in a pet dog shoulder to treat a large osteochondral defect. His achievement in early treatment of osteoarthritis has recently been highlighted in Arthritis Toady (Nov 2017). The recent awards from Innovate UK-MoST and EU HORIZON2020 have significantly boosted his research in this field. The ARUK treatment sub-committee deemed the osteochondral scaffold “an exciting proposal with the potential to provide a novel intervention for a large number of patients and potentially provide good value for money for the health services” (dated 24 Oct 2017), awarded grant for first in man clinical trials. Specifically, he has research interest in the follow area:
•Biomaterials/medical device surface processing to promoting biomolecular interactions.
•Design and development of scaffolds for musculoskeletal tissue engineering;
•Design and preclinical assessment of biomaterials/medical devices.
•Biotribology and Bionics Engineering
MSc Musculoskeletal Science Course Tutor
Musculoskeletal Biomaterials & Biomechanics Module (SURG0015 & 0056) Leader
Musculoskeletal Biomechanics and Application in Physical Therapy (SURG0035) module leader
2003 PhD, Orthopaedic Science, the Medical School, Newcastle University, UK
1998, PhD, Bionic Engineering, Jilin University, P R China
1990 MEng Wuhan University of Technology
- Member of EPSRC peer review college (2014 – present);
- Founding member of International Society of Bionics Engineering (ISBE) (2010);
- Associate Editor for Frontiers in Biomechanics (2021-present)
- Editorial board of Journal of Bionics Engineering (2014 – present);
- Editorial board member of Frontiers in Biomechanics (2014 – 2021);
- Visiting professor to Jilin University (from 2010);
- Organiser of Tissue and Cells Engineering Society (TCES) Annual conference 2014;
- Elected prestigious visiting Fellow at St. John’s College Oxford (2009).
- External examiner for Middlesex University’s MSc Clinical Physiology (Cardiac/Neurology);
- Programme tutor for the UCL MSc in Musculoskeletal Science.