FAQs for Department Contacts


Where can I find MyFinance training material?


Supplier Invoices

What does the Accounts Payable team do?

Accounts Payable deals with processing and payment of supplier invoices and expense payments for the whole of UCL; foreign payments; setting up new suppliers; purchase ledger control; approval of orders over £50K and assessment of applications for self-employment status.

How are invoices processed at UCL?

UCL operate a 'no purchase order, no pay' policy for invoice payment, see further information on invoice types and process.

Will a Department receive invoices from a supplier?

No, all invoices should be sent directly to Accounts Payable. If you do receive an invoice from a supplier, please ensure it quotes a valid PO number on the actual invoice and forward to Accounts Payable, either via Internal Post or scan and email to apinvoices@ucl.ac.uk . Invoices received that do not quote a valid UCL PO number, will be returned to the supplier.

What should a department do if they receive an invoice from a supplier?

Please ensure the invoice quotes a valid PO number on the actual invoice and forward to Accounts Payable, either via Internal Post or scan and email to apinvoices@ucl.ac.uk . PO numbers must be on the invoice, not as an attachment or in the body of an email. Invoices received that do not quote a valid UCL PO number, will be returned to the supplier.

What is the validation process for the invoice when it is received in AP?

AP will enter the invoice, match to the relevant PO and approve for payment.  If the order has been receipted and the price matches the PO within tolerance (5% or £50, whichever is lower), the invoice will be paid according to the payment terms. Suppliers are set up with 30 day terms as standard.

What happens if AP receives an invoice without a PO number?

AP will return it to the supplier.

What happens if AP receives a duplicate invoice?

All delivery charges should be included on the PO.  If not and under £50, AP will enter an extra distribution line using the code(s) from the PO and pay the invoice.  If over £50 the PO buyer will be informed and they will need to raise another PO to match to the delivery charges on the invoice.

What happens if extra items are included on the invoice that were not included on the original PO?

All items should be on the PO.  If not the PO buyer will be informed and they will need to raise another PO to match to the extra lines on the invoice.

How can a department view the status of an invoice?

Departmental users can use the iProcurement responsibility to look up their POs and see if an invoice(s) has been matched and what status it is in. Please see MyFinance Help for an online tutorial.

How does the New Supplier process work?

Please see information on New Supplier Requests

Who will deal with supplier queries?

This depends on what the query is, i.e. if the query is regarding when an invoice will be paid, AP will deal with the query, if it is a question regarding an order received, suppliers' will be directed to the relevant person in the department.

Will departments have to receipt for all orders?

Yes, all POs must be receipted in order for them to be paid.  If an invoice is entered onto the system and matched to an order that has not been receipted, the PO Buyer/Requisitioner will receive an email notification asking them to receipt the order.

How are foreign currency invoices processed?

Foreign currency invoices and invoices to be paid in GBP to a foreign bank are processed in exactly the same way as those for UK banks.

How do I process non-standard purchases?

Some purchases do not seem to fit the core ordering process, i.e. service contracts, standing orders, consultancy etc.  Please see further in formation on non-standard purchases to find out how to deal with these.

What is the address for the Accounts Payable unit?

Internal: Accounts Payable, 1 St Martin's Le Grand (1 SMLG).
N.B. if you wish to drop off invoices/expenses in person, please go to main reception at Bidborough House and ask to put your envelope in the 'red bag' - this bag is delivered directly to SMLG on a daily basis.

Credit Control

What do the Credit Control team do?

The credit control team is responsible for the collection of Research, General and NHS debts (excluding tuition fees and residence) reducing to a minimum the College’s exposure to bad debts, Customer Setups / Amendments, Run credit checks, Liaise with internal and external stake holders regarding queries, abatements and any other issues that might arise. Code and allocate income, Post receipts, Bank cheques, Process sales ledger adjustments, Reconciliation foreign bank accounts related to research income, Prepare Annual statements, Provide help and support to departments in relation to the accounts receivable module, Raise invoices for research councils profile payments received on quarterly basis and Monthly and ad-hoc debtors position reporting.

What is the credit approval process?


Where can I find New Customer Account set-up forms and Customer Amendment Forms?


What is the policy for Credit Control Research - Sponsor Credit checking?


Student Fees

What do the Student Fees team do?

The Student Fees team administer the setting of tuition fees, generate and collect fees from students and sponsors, record all fee income, chase debtors and apply sanctions in line with policy and administer fee refunds.

Where can I find fees information?

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/finance/policies-corporate-info/fee-information-staff This link contains all the information we think staff need to understand fee processes.

I still can't find an answer to my enquiry?

Fees have an email address specifically for staff fees.staffquery@ucl.ac.uk please use this for any queries for Fees.

I need to speak to someone about a student's fee status?

Fee status is applied at the point of admission, by Admissions. Contact information is available on the Undergraduate Prospectus and Graduate Prospectus.

Where can I find information about stipend payments and Form S (Funds Manager) transactions?

In the first instance, speak to Student Funding studentfunding@ucl.ac.uk who will be able to guide you through the process. If you still have issues with Funds Manager, speak with Portico services itservices@ucl.ac.uk .

NHS Billing

What do the NHS Billing team do?

The NHS Billing team are responsible for recharging the salary costs of UCL employed clinical academics to NHS Trusts and other government health providers. This involves close liaison with academic departments, HR services and the healthcare partners.

In order to manage these recharges, the team prepares, maintains, tracks and reviews the information required to ensure timely approval and payment. The team works closely with the Credit Control team to support the recovery of outstanding debt.

New ‘PTAE’ account code requests

If you require a new account code, please complete and send the following template to nhsbilling@ucl.ac.uk. We will then arrange for a new account code to be set up and confirm the code to you once it is available.

Department transactions

A department transaction should always be submitted with a supporting comment confirming the change(s) that the department is trying to put through to assist Finance with the approval process, and to help ensure that the transaction is actioned correctly by HR.

Does NHS Billing deal with staff that are employed by a Trust and are to be recharged to UCL?

No, please contact Schools Finance for assistance.

Does NHS Billing deal with non-salary costs to be recharged to an NHS provider?

No, please refer to your Department Administrator or Schools Finance.

Does NHS Billing recharge for staff allocated to Trust Research funding?

No, please refer to Research Services for assistance.

Does NHS Billing invoice to the Special Trustees of the Trusts?

No, please refer to your Department Administrator or Schools Finance.

Is VAT chargeable on the recharge?

VAT will be chargeable if the recharge does not fall within the HMRC MoU (Memorandum of Understanding).  The basic premise is that the recharge should fall within all four of the following categories:

The recharge will be between an NHS Trust (or Government Health provider) and a University. The staff member should engage in the provision of Research and/or Teaching AND the delivery of patient care (or be an integral part of the delivery). The staff member should have a substantive and an honorary employment contract. There should be written documentation providing proof of the above.


What do the Treasury team do?

Responsible for the management of UCL's cash position, bank accounts, associated accounting, bank reconciliations and income control procedures, investment of surplus cash, fraud, cash flow, regulatory bank controls, sanctions and KYC. 

Our services: Daily analysis of cash position; Devising and disseminating procedures for receipting cash and making payments; identification of miscellaneous income, ensuring the accurate recording in MyFinance of all cash receipts and payments; Monthly reconciliation of 25+ bank and control accounts; Ensuring compliance with PCIDSS requirements.

Advise Treasury of expecting miscellaneous income

Advise Treasury of expecting miscellaneous income by e-mail to financeremittance@ucl.ac.uk with valid PTAE and VAT status - Please check with Project validator that PTAE being supplied is valid in system AR Misc Receipts – if PTAE invalid at time of posting, the department holding account will be credited instead.

Remittance Invoices

If you receive remittance invoices, please forward immediately to financeremittance@ucl.ac.uk with a valid PTAE and VAT status.

Access to Work (DWP)

If a claim submitted to DWP for funding under Access to Work, e-mail financeremittance@ucl.ac.uk with the following details: department contact, name of person claim for, PTAE to credit funding to and value of claim and period

 Financial Services Office

What do the Financial Services Office team do?

The FSO provides a wide range of services and support to departments and students across UCL. Our aim is to provide excellent service whilst striving to enhance the customer experience whether that be a Department, Student or UCL Customer/Stakeholder.

Our services include deposit of cash income via UCL’s drop safe facility, Foreign and Research Advances. Online Store payment (card payments only) facility and administration for non-invoice payments; Conference & Events, Short Courses, Products and Miscellaneous payments. MyFinance Authorised Signatories management and administration.

Deposit of sterling & foreign income via cheque payments

Please speak to D’arcey Hollier at d.hollier@ucl.ac.uk or Steve Williams at steve.a.williams@ucl.ac.uk if you receive a cheque payment to discuss how to deposit.

Manual Credit/Debit card payment facility for Invoice payments

This has now moved to the Online Store, please contact D’arcey Hollier at d.hollier@ucl.ac.uk for further advice should you require your customer to pay an Invoice immediately by credit or debit card rather than waiting for a BACS payment.

Invalid PTAE’s when depositing income

All codes should be checked against the Project Code validator before depositing with the FSO

Using UCL’s Online Store for taking fees for Conference and Events

Some Courses and for offering Merchandise along with Memberships and other ad hoc income streams allows Departments to take advantage of receiving the full income charged without paying fees and bank charges. The Online Store is managed and administrated by the FSO with all fees and bank charges being taken centrally and income posted directly to the Departments Project Code no less than weekly. Please contact departmentalonlinestore@ucl.ac.uk for further details. https://onlinestore.ucl.ac.uk/

Authorised Signatory/Approver’s

Please make sure all annual leave requests are sent BEFORE a member of staff takes leave to ensure that all Expenses and Requisitions are approved in a timely manner and do not get stuck with staff who are not able to approve. Expenses/Requisitions cannot be forwarded and must be recalled and resubmitted which can cause delays, this also applies to Authorised Signatories/Approvers that are leaving UCL, they are not end dated by Human Resources and must be removed from the system by the FSO.

Drop Safe Paperwork

All Drop Safe Paperwork must be sent to dropsafedeposit@ucl.ac.uk on the day the income is deposited into the Drop Safe. (Currently suspended due to Covid19 Pandemic)

Month End

All income must be deposited via the Drop Safe (cash) no later than 2 days before the end of each month (this does not include weekends or bank holidays) this allows enough time for paperwork to be processed.

Receiving Cheques

If you do receive cheques please seek advice from D’arcey Hollier at d.hollier@ucl.ac.uk or Steve Williams at steve.a.williams@ucl.ac.uk