Module Deadlines and Module Credit Checks
10 October 2023
Please review the deadlines and tasks for module tasks due soon
Module deadline reminders:
- Module selection closes for all students: 13 October 2023
- Deadline for departmental (parent and teaching) module selection approvals: 27 October 2023
- Module changes after term 1 week 3 are considered 'late module changes' and should follow the procedure outlined in the academic manual for late module selection.
- Module verification – students emailed to confirm their module choices are correct (begins: 22 November 2023) Deadline: 06 December 2023
- January starters who are pre-enrolled/fully enrolled invited to select modules: 13 December 2023
- Deadline for departmental approval of changes to term two and three module selections: 15 December 2023 (for making changes only if students have reported incorrect modules in the verification task)
- Deadline for January starter module selections: 19 January 2024
- Deadline for departmental (parent and teaching) module selection approvals for January starters: 26 January 2024
Module Approvals and Module Credit Checks
Checking progress of parent and teaching approvals
To check the progress of teaching and parent approvals given to date, please use the ‘Enrolment and Module Selection Dashboard’ which can be located in the ‘Student Module Selection Review’ container of ‘Student Module Selection’. You can amend the report criteria to view this by Faculty and/or by Department. This will give an overview of how many students have enrolled, and the % of outstanding module registration parent and teaching approvals. Parent and teaching approvals need to be complete by 27 October 2023.
How to check all students have a full set of approved modules and the correct number of credits on their records for 2023/24
Checking module credits and approval statuses using reports
The progression and award rules have been written to comply with UCL’s credit and qualification framework and therefore check that students have taken the correct number of credits on the programme overall (e.g., 180 for a standard 1-year MSc) and the correct number of credits at particular levels (e.g., no more than 150 credits at level 4 on an undergraduate programme). To avoid problems at the time of the Exam Board, it is vital that any students whose module sections do not meet the credit requirements are identified now when it is still possible to take action to rectify the situation.
Please use the ‘Summary by Student’ report which can be found in the Student Module Selection container.
Which report should I use to check module credits and module approval status?
Summary by Student provides an overview of total credits selected, credits by FHEQ level selected and approved/rejected/pending credits for 2023/24; total credits passed in past sessions and credits passed in past sessions by FHEQ level; grand total of credits by FHEQ level.
How do I run the report to check credits?
To identify these students, you can add additional search criteria when running the ‘Summary by Student’ report:
- a) Click on the ‘Student Module Selection’ section of Portico and select ‘Summary by Student’ report in the ‘Module Selection Reports’ container.
- b) You can search by ‘Route of Study’ or ‘Student Parent Department’ and you must also choose a ‘Year of Study’. When searching, you can start typing the route or department and then pick from a drop-down.
- c) The ‘Module Credit Operator’ should be used to filter students by a particular credit amount.
- d) You should select the credits from the drop-down.
- e) You can enter the period over which you want to search in ‘Time span’.
- f) Press ‘Retrieve’.
Any students with the incorrect number of credits will need to have their records amended as soon as possible – please use the ‘Departmental Student Module Amend’ task in Portico to correct the record.
Any queries or questions should be submitted via your Teams Student Records and SLT Query Management Log.
Contact details for further information: email@example.com