Spotlight on the UCL Student Centre
4 December 2014
What is the Student Centre? The Student Centre is the face-to-face point of contact for student-related enquiries from current UCL students, UCL Alumni, UCL Academics, Faculties and Departments and the wider UCL community.
Where is the Student Centre?
The Student Centre is located on the ground floor of the Chadwick Building on the Gower Street Campus. As you enter the main gate from Gower Street the Chadwick Building is the large building on your right. Just past the Front Lodge Reception on your right you will see a large glass door which leads into the Chadwick Building. You can reach the door via steps or a ramp. The Student Centre is through this door.
You can see the location on the campus map at grid reference C2.
When is the Student Centre open?
We are open 10am to 4pm Monday-to-Friday excluding Public Holidays and university closure days.
What services are provided from the Student Centre?
Our staff can help with all of the following:
- Production of statements of student status letters for proof of enrolment.
- Enrolment of new students outside of Opening of Session dates.
- Responding to queries a UCL current student or UCL Alumni may have about their student record in accordance with UCL's Academic Regulations for taught programmes (Undergraduate students, and Postgraduate students (Masters and MRes programmes)), Professional Doctorate students, and Research Degree Students (PhD, MPhil, and EngD).
- Responding to general queries a UCL student may have about Study Abroad, Graduation Ceremonies, and International Student Welfare Issues.
- Submission of thesis (Research degree students).
- Visa checking in collaboration with the UCL Student Immigration Compliance Officer and in accordance with the UKBA regulations for engagement monitoring of Tier 4 students.
- Checking a student's Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Application form and verifying the information the student has provided in the DBS Application form is correct.
- Signing off a variety of forms including Learning Agreement Forms, Arrival and Departure forms for Erasmus students, and Railcard forms for Mature Students.
- Responding to reference requests from external agencies about current or former UCL students.
- Transcript and degree certificate enquiries.
- Enquiries about examinations and awards.
- Tuition fee payments, using credit or debit cards or cheques only (cash CANNOT be accepted in the Student Centre).
- All tuition fee enquires (email@example.com), fee debt enquiries, fee refund request and enquiries, CDL forms, Canadian Tax forms, US Loan reimbursement enquires and invoice and receipt production.
- Student Funding enquiries (firstname.lastname@example.org), including: Collecting stipend payments (cheques), Scholarship / Studentship / Bursary queries (not departmental awards), NSP / UCL Bursary queries, SFE/SLC queries, Confirmation of Registration (release of student loan funding), US/ Canadian Loans, Emergency Loans, Financial Assistance/Hardship queries and Student Funding Welfare queries.
If a Student Centre member of staff is unable to answer your question they will signpost you to the correct website/office/department/person to assist you.
Kate Jones, Student Support and Wellbeing Manager (Student Centre and Events), Student Advisory and Events Services; Student and Registry Services