Equality, diversity and inclusion are fundamental to the ethos of the Faculty of Life Sciences.
UCL aims to foster a positive cultural climate where all staff and students can flourish and be their authentic selves. The Dignity at Work policy and support provision protects staff from unacceptable behaviour.
Below are just a selection of the equalities and diversity initiatives we have in place to achieve our goals.
Age is classed as a protected characteristic in equality law and UCL aims to support colleagues of all ages. Find out more:
Black and minority ethnic (BME) staff
UCL was one of the first universities in the UK to receive a Race Equality Charter Bronze Award in January 2016 in recognition of its efforts to understand and address racial inequality in Higher Education.
BME staff can access many resources and support at UCL. RaceMatters@UCL is a network for BME staff members at UCL, which provides networking opportunities, peer support, social events, and much more.
- Race Equality Charter
- Race Equality Steering Group
- Race equality support for staff and managers
- More on race equality at UCL
Deaf staff and staff with disabilities
UCL staff who are D/deaf or have a disability can access to comprehensive support in the workplace. Choose a link below to find out more:
- Declaring your disability
- UCL Occupational Health service
- Enable@UCL network for staff who are D/deaf or have a disability
- Accessibility and Disability IT support
- More on disability equality at UCL
LGBTQ+ staff at UCL can have access to a range of support and resources.
UCL was the first university to join Stonewall’s Global Diversity Champions programme in 2014.
- Stonewall’s Global Diversity Champions programme in 2014
- LGBTQ+ Equality Advisory Group
- Friends of Out@UCL
- More on LGBTQ+ support for staff and managers
Zero tolerance of sexual harassment
UCL has worked with the Students’ Union on their Zero Tolerance to Sexual Harassment campaign. All Divisions in the Faculty of Life Sciences signed this pledge which aims to eliminate sexual harassment at UCL through training, education, and awareness. We all have a responsibility to make our University a safe space for all students and staff.
- UCLU Zero Tolerance to Sexual Harassment campaign
- Dignity at Work Advisers - informal support for staff experiencing bullying and harassment in the workplace
- Employee Assistance Programme - for staff access to counselling and other support services
Women at UCL
UCL is the proud owner of a Silver Athena SWAN award for its efforts to tackle gender inequality in Higher Education. Some of the Faculty of Life Sciences's five Divisions have each earned their own individual awards. Read more on their own webpages:
Find out more about Athena SWAN:
Maternity support at UCL
Find out information about policies and support for new and expectant mothers at the UCL HR website.
Networks for women
- Find out about Faculty-wide and UCL-wide networks, including networks for women
- 50:50 Gender Equality Group
Religion and belief equality
UCL has comprehensive policies to ensure that all students and staff practising religions at UCL are treated with respect.