Information on how to acquire copies of images held by UCL Special Collections and the costs and copyright rules when using them.
Selecting an Image
- A large number of images can be found at the UCL Digital Collections.
- Many of our images are not yet available online. If you are unable to locate a particular image on the gallery, contact us at to see if it is available.
- High-resolution images are not available online. Requests for these can be made by contacting Special Collections by e-mail.
- All images on this site are protected by copyright. They may be copied to your own computer for personal study or research but may not be distributed, re-used in any way or broadcast without written permission from Library Services at UCL.
- All enquiries regarding publication of items from the archives, including reprographic orders, must be placed using the
- Reproduction fees are for the non-exclusive right to reproduce images in any published form, or for use in television, film and websites.
- Reproduction fees are not copyright fees and payment of a reproduction fee does not connote permission to reproduce copyright material.
- Researchers are reminded that the onus for satisfying the legal requirements of the Copyright Act rests with them. The applicant must either submit a written authorisation from the copyright holder, or provide proof that a reasonable attempt has been made to provide such permission. Any fee payable to the copyright holder is additional to any fee to UCL Special Collections.