New guidance for easier payment of public contributors
28 June 2022
New guidance has been launched to help researchers pay public contributors.
Slow and complicated payment procedures for public contributors, patients and members of the public who contribute to research have been identified as a key barrier to inclusive and accessible public involvement in research.
Developed by the NIHR, Health and Care Research Wales and the HRA, the guidance:
- describes principles of payment for public contributors and challenges including inflexible payment systems
- provides direction to those managing and administering payment, and supports them to understand employment status and tax regulations
- signposts to information HMRC guidance to inform decisions on payments based on the type of involvement activity (e.g. attending events and seminars, or remote document review)
The guidance is released as ‘consultation in use’ for a period of six months to gather feedback from organisations across the UK and Ireland.
Organisations and researchers who offer feedback can do so via email to the NIHR Centre for Engagement and Dissemination: email@example.com.
The NIHR is interested in:
- How are you using this guidance document?
- How is this guidance document changing or improving practice?
- Is there incorrect or missing information?
- Do you have any further suggestions for how this guidance document is used or could be improved?
- Does your organisation want to endorse or support this guidance document?