Register for Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) with Microsoft Authenticator app
This guide is aimed at
- Staff only
Before you start
- You should only complete these instructions if you have received an email from the project group inviting you to register for MFA.
You will need an iOS or Android device (or a device with an operating system that supports running Android applications).
- On your computer, go to https://aka.ms/MFASetup
- If you are not already signed in, log in with your UCL credentials
- Select Next to proceed with registering for MFA or select Skip for now if you would like to defer registering for a later date.
Please note you will have a 14-day grace period from the day you receive the notification to register for MFA
Fig.1 – More information required
- On your mobile device navigate to your device’s application marketplace. Search for and install the Microsoft Authenticator app.
Please note: If you already have the Microsoft Authentication app installed, tap the + sign to add an account, select Work or school account and then go to step 6.
- Once the Microsoft Authenticator app is installed on your mobile device follow the Set-up Wizard to complete setting up the application on your device.
- On your computer, select Next to proceed
Fig.2 – Download Microsoft Authenticator screen
- On your mobile device, select Scan QR code to open the camera
- When the camera is ready, on your computer select Next
Fig.3 – Set up your account screen
- With your mobile device, scan the QR code and select Confirm
Fig.4 – Scan the QR code
- On your mobile device, when prompted, select Approve to link your account to your Microsoft Authenticator app
Fig.5 – Approve the notification we're sending to your app
- Your account and your Microsoft Authenticator app are now linked. On your computer, select Next to complete registration.
Fig.6 – Notification approved
- Select Done to complete the MFA registration
Fig.7 – Success screen
- Congratulations, your account is now registered for MFA