Modify central distribution list members in Outlook Web Access (OWA)
A central distribution list is a collection of contacts which allows you to email multiple people within a group. Once you have your list set up, you can modify the list members at any time. This guide explains how.
Before you start...
- You will need to be a registered owner of the distribution list to perform these changes.
- Check your browser compatibility to ensure you meet the minimum requirements for using OWA.
1. In Mail view, click on Settings (visible as a cog wheel icon) within the top-right corner. Select View all Outlook settings.
2. A Settings window will appear. Select General. Select Distribution groups.
3. Under distribution groups I own, select the list you want to change, then select Edit (visible as a pencil icon). Alternatively you can also open the list details by double clicking on it.
4. A new window will open with details about your central distribution list. Select Membership from the left-hand pane.
To add members:
1. Within Membership, beneath Members, select Add (visible as a plus (+) icon).
2. You will be prompted to search for the new member from the directory (Global Address List). In the Search People field, type the name, user ID or email address of the new member.
3. Once you have found the person you want to add, either double click on their name, or select the name and then select Add (visible as a plus (+) icon) next to the name.
4. The chosen account will appear in the Members field above the Search People field.Repeat steps 2 and 3 for any other new members. Select Save.
5. You will be returned to the Membership section with the newly specified members listed. Select Save to apply your changes and add the new users.
To remove members:
1. Within Membership, beneath Members, select the person you wish to remove. Select Remove (visible as a minus (-) icon).
2. Select Save to apply your changes.
Tip: You can remove more than one person at once within the Membership section. To select a list of adjacent users, hold down the Shift key on your keyboard and while pressed, select the top and below entry within the required selection. To select multiple non-adjacent users, hold down the Ctrl key on the keyboard whilst selecting the names you wish to remove.
Note: If you remove or add the wrong people, click on Cancel in the bottom right of the window. This will exit the list without saving any changes.
Related guides and other info:
- About central distribution lists
- Modify central distribution list owners
- Restrict/allow senders to a central distribution list
- Set message approval for central distribution list messages in Outlook Web Access (OWA)
- Contact groups (local distribution lists)
- Mailman lists
Help and support
- Contact the IT Services.
We are continually improving our website. Please provide any feedback using the feedback form.
Please note: This form is only to provide feedback. If you require IT support please contact the IT Services Help desk. We can only respond to UCL email addresses.