Restrict/allow senders to a central distribution list in Outlook Web Access (OWA)
By default, only the assigned owners of a distribution list can send messages to the group. This guide shows how you can add and remove authorised senders.
This guide is aimed at...
Before you start...
- You will need to be a registered owner of the distribution list to perform these changes.
- Check your browser compatibility to ensure you meet the minimum requirements for using OWA.
- In Mail view, click on Settings (visible as a cog wheel icon) within the top-right corner. Select View all Outlook settings.
- A Settings window will appear. Select General. Select Distribution groups.
- Under distribution groups I own, select the list you want to change, then select Edit (visible as a pencil icon). Alternatively you can also open the list details by double clicking on it.
- A new window will open with details about your central distribution list. Select Delivery management from the left-hand pane.
Note: If no individuals are listed within delivery management, all senders (UCL and non-UCL) can submit mail to the list, unless message approval has been enabled. More information on message approval can be found on the approve messages sent to a central distribution list how-to guide.
Note: If it is specified within delivery management that your distribution list does not allow external (non-UCL) senders and you require this feature to be enabled, please contact the ISD IT Services.
- To change authorised senders, within Delivery management, perform one of the following:
Add authorised sender(s)
- Select Add (visible as a plus (+) icon). You will be prompted to search for the new authorised sender from the directory (Global Address List). In the Search People field, type the name, user ID or email address of the individual.
Tip: If you would like to set the members of the list as authorised senders, enter the email address of the mailing list.
- Once you have found the person or list you would like to add, either double click on the name, or select the name and then select Add (visible as a plus (+) icon) next to the name.
- The chosen address will appear in the Allowed senders field above the Search People field. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for any other new authorised senders.
- Once you have performed all the required changes, click Save to apply.
Remove authorised sender(s)
- Select the person or object you would like to remove and then select Remove (visible as a minus (-) icon).
- Click Save to apply.
- About central distribution lists
- Modify central distribution list owners
- Set message approval for central distribution list messages in Outlook Web Access (OWA)
- Contact groups (local distribution lists)
- Mailman lists
Help and support
- Contact the IT Services.