BA (Hons), MSc, PhD, DipPsych, CPsychol, AFBPsS, SFHEA
- MSc Cognitive Neuropsychology (1989)
- PG Certificate Existential Counselling/Psychotherapy (1994)
- PhD Medical Psychology (2000)
- Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society (AFBPsS) (Membership No: 98787)
- Chartered Psychologist (2003)
- Health Psychologist (2004)
- Full member of the BPS Division of Health Psychology
- Full member of the BPS Division of Teachers and Researchers in Psychology
- Mediation and Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) training (Regents College)
- PG Certificate in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) Leicester University (2011)
- PG Certificate Systemic Therapy (Tavistock Institute of Family Therapy) (2013)
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA) (2016)
- UCL Provost’s Teaching Award (2007)
Current Teaching and Education roles:
I am a Chartered Psychologist (academic and practitioner) and an Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society. Since becoming Senior Lecturer in Clinical Neuroscience at UCL (2003), I have overseen the establishment of the Institute of Neurology (ION) Education Unit (2006) at which time I became Head of Unit. During this time, educational activity at the ION increased more than three-fold.
I am Co-director of: (i) MSc in Clinical Neuroscience; (ii) MSc Clinical Neurology; (iii) PG Diploma in Clinical Neurology; (iv) UCL Diploma in Clinical Neurology via Distance Learning; (vi) the Dual Masters in Brain and Mind Sciences (I am also chair of the exam board for this programme).
In 2007 I was awarded the UCL Provost’s Teaching Prize for my outstanding contribution to teaching at UCL.
I was involved in designing the MSc in Advanced Neuroimaging and I am on the committee for the MRes in Translational Neurology. I represent IoN on various working groups and committees at Faculty (FBrS) and School (SLMS) levels.
Thinking about choosing your research project?
If you would like some help in thinking about / selecting your MSc research project, drop me an email and I will be happy to discuss with you.
My ‘IRIS’ profile is here: https://iris.ucl.ac.uk/iris/browse/profile?upi=CESEL12
Every year I supervise, or co-supervise, approximately 10 masters Library Projects and Main Research projects.
A Chartered Psychologist by background, I have developed a special interest in supervising and mentoring students with a view to helping them to achieve their full potential. In my academic and clinical work here at UCL Queen Square Institute of Neurology and the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery (NHNN), I am fortunate to work with many fantastic colleagues in the clinical hospital departments: Neuropsychiatry and Uro-Neurology.
Please contact me if you are interested in a research project in:
(i) psychology / any of the psychotherapies …
(ii) a clinical project with some patient contact
(iii) computational / mathematical modelling
(iv) projects with a cross-cultural / intercultural theme…
(v) any creative project at the margins / hinterland of neuroscience….