The UCL Media Relations team runs the university’s central press office. Our work involves:
- communicating research and key institutional stories to the wider world via the media
- helping journalists find the right UCL expert for their story
- assisting staff to pursue successful media engagement and supporting staff with all aspects of media handling
- ensuring issues of potential media interest are handled professionally and with due regard for organisational reputation.
Support for UCL departments
We can support various aspects of disseminating information to the media. This includes:
- assessing the news value of your stories, with recommendations on how, when and where to promote your research
- preparing and distributing press releases on key stories where appropriate
- managing the UCL Experts database and connecting staff with journalists
- advising on dealing with media requests or interviews and handling difficult or controversial issues
- promoting media coverage across UCL’s channels.
We manage the following channels:
- UCL News: online repository of UCL press releases and news articles
- @uclnews on Twitter: tweeting news highlights and media coverage
- UCL in the media: online archive of media coverage and opinion pieces written by UCL staff
- UCL Experts: database of UCL academics happy to be contacted by media
We work closely with the UCL Communications team to represent news content and media coverage on other central channels (e.g. UCL homepage).
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know about potential upcoming news.
Alternatively, you can contact the appropriate team member about your story, by email below, or check their full contact details here.
- Kirsty Walker, Director of Media Relations (Higher Education issues and institutional strategy)
- Bex Caygill, Deputy Head of Media Relations (Faculties of Life Sciences and Mathematical & Physical Sciences)
- Henry Killworth, Deputy Head of Media Relations (Faculties of Brain Sciences and Medical Sciences)
- Rowan Walker, Media Relations Manager (UCL Institute of Education and Faculty of Population Health Sciences)
- Natasha Downes, Media Relations Manager (Faculties of Social & Historical Sciences, Arts & Humanities and Laws)
- Kate Corry, Media Relations Manager (Faculties of Engineering Sciences and the Built Environment)
- Chris Lane, Media Relations Manager (Faculties of Medical Sciences and Brain Sciences)
- Nazia Begum, Media Relations Officer (Media monitoring and evaluation, experts requests)
- Lucy Jones, Media Relations Officer (Media monitoring and evaluation, experts requests)
- Working with Media Relations: for academics (pdf, 246KB)
- Working with Media Relations: for UCL communicators (pdf, 109KB)
- Register as an expert
- Social media: @ucl and @uclnews Twitter channel information (doc, 16KB)