The Evaluation Exchange
We are a partnership between UCL and the voluntary and community sector that aims to improve evaluation practice.
9 December 2022
What is the Evaluation Exchange?
The Evaluation Exchange brings together voluntary and community sector groups wanting to improve their capacity to evaluate their work, with postgraduate students and researchers who want to put their research and evaluation skills into practice in a real-life setting.
We work in different ways with different people depending on their needs. At the heart of everything we do is supporting organisations, students and researchers to work together, to break down barriers to accessing different evidence and build evaluation and research skills that work in the real world.
To find out why we run the programme, watch our animation. To learn about how organisations, students and researchers have recently benefited, watch our film.
- Students and researchers: Why should I get involved?
An opportunity for you and those you work with
The Evaluation Exchange is an opportunity for you to enhance your research and evaluation skills outside of a university setting - a real world application of your knowledge that has the potential to make a difference to the workings of voluntary and community sector organisations. You will help embed the use of successful evaluation approaches leading to a lasting change in practice and making a valued contribution to an organisation.
You will also be meeting and connecting with individuals outside of the university, establishing a new network. You will enhance your research and evaluation skills, tap into the workings of community and voluntary sector organisations, and have the opportunity to enhance your experience outside of the typical university setting.
Read about the key impacts and lessons learnt from the Evaluation Exchange 2017/18, Evaluation Exchange 2021/22 and watch our film.
- Organisations: Why should I get involved?
An opportunity for you and those you work with
The Evaluation Exchange aims to help voluntary and community organisations, in Camden and Newham, build evaluation and learning into their work. By matching you to a team of UCL researchers, you will work collaboratively with them to tackle your evaluation challenge. Working together you can develop appropriate learning systems that help you understand what is going well and not so well and demonstrate the value of your organisation’s services. The team of researchers matched to your organisation will have a variety of backgrounds and interests and will be keen to learn from you too.
Watch our film featuring organsations who have already been involved.
We can help you think through whether your evaluation challenge is appropriate for the Evaluation Exchange. If you would like to discuss your idea please get in touch.
- Our training
- Overview of the training we offered in our 2021/22 programme.
Find out more
- Who we’ve worked with and what happened
- Read our blogs
- Recognising & celebrating the energy that is created: Street Storage & The UCL Volunteering Awards
- A celebration: The Evaluation Exchange 2021/22
- What is the long-lasting impact of participating in the Evaluation Exchange? Previous UCL students share their experience.
- Making time for evaluation and learning: top tips when resources are tight
- Blogs from the Evaluation Exchange pilot
- Evaluation Exchange taster sessions for voluntary and community sector organisations
- Why cross disciplinary work is crucial for building researchers' skills and expertise
- The Evaluation Exchange launches in Newham
- Working with an organisation undergoing transition
- Ready, set, go! The Evaluation Exchange has launched in Camden
- Evaluation Exchange: Reflecting and Adapting to Constant Change in Social Enterprises
- Evaluation Exchange: There's a place you can go
- Evaluation Exchange: Deaf Community Empowerment and Campaigning
- Ideas to actions: the Evaluation Exchange
- Evaluation Exchange: Kentish Town City Farm
- Evaluation Exchange: Supporting Vulnerable Residents in Diverse Communities
- Evaluation Exchange: Women + Health
- Evaluation Exchange: designing surveys to capture the support 'Skills Enterprise' offers in Newham
- Evaluation Exchange: Lifeafterhummus
- Evaluation Exchange: Wac Arts empowering young people to change their world through the arts
- Evaluation Exchange: Who are Street Storage?
- Evaluation Exchange: Calthorpe Community Garden - Relax, Play, Eat
- Evaluation Exchange: UCL students collaborate with community health inequalities project: Evaluation Exchange
- Bringing compassion into public project evaluation: the UCL Evaluation Exchange
- Watch our videos
- What is The Evaluation Exchange? (Animation)
- Evaluation Exchange 2021-22 (Film)
- Victoria, from Caritas Anchor House in Newham, shares what she and her organisation gained from the Evaluation Exchange
- Anne and Aradhna, UCL students, talk about their experience of the Evaluation Exchange
- Money A+E: The team share their experience
- Get in touch
If you want to find out more or have any questions, please get in touch.
Follow us on Twitter @EvaluationExch.
Who we work with
The Evaluation Exchange is delivered with Compost London and Voluntary Action Camden.
Project leads: Dr Gemma Moore and Ruth Unstead-Joss.