Sustainability and energy efficiency are part of everything we do as a School, running through our teaching, our research and our consultancy.
Green Impact is a UCL-wide environmental competition and accreditation scheme that allows departments and divisions across UCL to improve their environmental impact, support UCL's Sustainability Strategy and engage peers and colleagues with these essential issues. The School actively takes part in this programme, striving to improve our environmental impact on the world.
- This academic year our improvements include:
- Conducting energy audits to ensure equipment is switched off daily
- Participating in UCL's Big Christmas Switch Off
- Installing new signage promoting energy and water saving
- Using biodegradable catering material
- Significantly reducing our paper usage
- Applying Biophilic Principles to our department’s operations
UCL Sustainability Award winners 2020
The award is an acknowledgement of the many operational improvements we have made, so that sustainability is now embedded in our School culture. These improvements include how we use and recycle paper, what food we order for catering, and regular reminders on topics from cycling to provision of rechargeable batteries to biodiversity on campus.
How you can take action
- Join the BSSC Green Impact Team
- Find out more about our sustainability in the built environment academic research
- As a worker in Camden, UCL staff have access to Camden Council cycling schemes, including cycle training and a free bicycle loan. Find out more on the Camden Council website
- Embed sustainability into the curriculum
- See what’s happening at the UCL Climate Hub
- Make a pledge with Do Nation
- Reduce your waste – see the UCL shop for reusable bottles and mugs
Find out more
- Visit the UCL Green Impact website
- Contact our Green Impact Lead for more information or just an informal chat: Anita Treso, firstname.lastname@example.org