Currently UCL has over 150 Green Champions making UCL a sustainable and healthy place to work and study: Green Champions have catalysed new initiatives that are now being adopted across UCL, from vegetarian catering to paperless meetings and stair climbing competitions with Jeremy Bentham.
This is a flexible volunteering role which should be undertaken during working hours and supported by line managers. No prior knowledge is required for this role as training and supervision is supported by the Sustainability Team. This opportunity provides staff with leadership, project management and communication skills as well as knowledge of sustainability and behaviour change methods. Staff can volunteer for the role or be nominated.
- What do Green Champions do?
Primarily Green Champions act as a conduit between their department and UCL's Sustainability Team. They let the Sustainability Team know about departmental sustainablity challenges and issues and dissemenate information from the team to staff and students.
- The easiest way to ensure your department is on track to becoming more sustainable, is to take part in UCL's Green Impact Programme for offices and LEAF programme for labs. Green Champions ensure that their department takes part in these programmes by recruiting a team of students and staff to complete the toolkit or undertake them themselves.
- Champions attend and participate in forums, workshops, training and meetings organised by UCL's Green Champion network.
- There are ususally a handful of Green Champions per department or office who work together.
- What's in it for you?
- The Climate Emergency is one of the major global themes of the 21st century and UCL has an important role to play in driving sustainable development. Be part of a network of champions to help UCL contribute to a sustainable future.
- Receive recognition for your achievements at UCL's annual Sustainability Awards.
- Improve your skills in leadership, project management, communication and team work
- Meet other people with similar interests in your department and across UCL
- Gain knowledge in sustainability literacy
- How do I become a Green Champion?
Any one can become a Green Champion