Prof Louise Martin
Professor of Zooarchaeology
Institute of Archaeology Gordon Square
Institute of Archaeology
- Joined UCL
- 1st Oct 1994
- Zooarchaeology of the Middle East, Anatolia, Arabia
- Animal domestications
- Early pastoral societies
- Prehistoric hunting strategies and wildlife behaviour
- Human-animal social, ecological and symbolic relations
- Zooarchaeology Research Lab leader
Current Research Collaborations
- Boncuklu Höyük Research Project, Turkey - Prof Douglas Baird, University of Liverpool; Dr Gökhan Mustafaoğlu, Ankara Haci Bayram Veli University; Dr Andrew Fairbairn, University of Queensland. http://boncuklu.org/
- Eastern Badia Archaeological Project (EBAP), Jordan - Prof Gary Rollefson, Whitman College; Dr Yorke Rowan, University of Chicago; Dr Alex Wasse, Yeditepe University. https://oi.uchicago.edu/research/projects/eastern-badia
- Eastern Fertile Crescent Research Project, Iraqi Kurdistan (EFEC) - Dr Eleni Asouti, Prof Douglas Baird, University of Liverpool. https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0239564
- Ancient Socioecological systems in Oman (ASOM), Dhofar, Oman - Prof Joy McCorriston, Prof Ian Hamilton, Prof Mark Moritz, Ohio State University. https://u.osu.edu/asomproject/
- Palaeodeserts Project, Saudi Arabia - Prof Michael Petraglia, Dr Maria Guagnin, Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History, Jena. https://www.palaeodeserts.com/
- Prehistoric hunting Practices in Jordan, Jordan & UCL - Dr Louise Martin, Dr Andrew Garrard, Dr Liz Henton, UCL Institute of Archaeology. https://www.ucl.ac.uk/archaeology/research/directory/prehistoric-hunting-strategies-jordan
- Khirbet Sheik Isa, Ghor es-Safi, Jordan - Dr Konstantinos Politis, Hellenic Society for Near Eastern Studies, Athens, Greece. http://www.hsnes.org/current_projects.htm
- Epipalaeolithic Foragers in Azraq Project (EFAP), Jordan - Dr Lisa Maher, University of Berkeley, California, Dr Danielle McDonald, University of Tulsa. https://epipalaeolithicforagers.wordpress.com/
- ARCL0022 Zooarchaeology in practice (not running in 2021-22)
- ARCL0125 Zooarchaeology in practice
- ARCL0129 Environmental Archaeology in Practice
- University of Sheffield
- Doctorate, Doctor of Philosophy | 1995
- University College London
- First Degree, Bachelor of Arts | 1985
Editorial Board, Levant
Member, Council for British Research in the Levant (CBRL)
Honorary Research Chair CBRL (2015-19)
Member, British Institute in Ankara
Member, International Council for Archaeozoology (ICAZ)
Member, Archaeozoology of south-west Asia and Surrounding Areas (ASWA)
Member, Association of Environmental Archaeology
PhD supervisions – current2021- Joint Primary Supervisor for Marie Middleton (UCL GRS Studentship) Production and consumption in different ethnic quarters of a key North African Islamic city.
2020- Joint Primary Supervisor for Rhonda Prout (LAHP Studentship) Swine, pannage and droveways – pigs in the Anglo-Saxon landscape.
2018- Joint Primary Supervisor for Gwendolyn Maurer (LAHP Studentship) Diaspora Subsistence Strategies: Tracing 3rd millennium migrants to the Levant.
2018- Joint Primary Supervisor for Fiona Skinner (LAHP Studentship). The effects of biodiversity on hunter-gatherer behaviour in late Middle and Upper Palaeolithic Britain.
2018- Joint Primary Supervisor for Stefania Cucuteanu. The Palaeoecology of Bovidae Fauna at Olduvai Gorge, Tanzania: A Complete Assessment of Beds I-IV and the Abiotic and Biotic Interactions in Plio-Pleistocene Faunal Communities.
2018- Secondary Supervisor for Ilkka Sipilä (Koneen Säätiö - Kone Foundation Studentship). Applying supervised deep convolutional neural network to identify bones from archaeological assemblages.
2017- Joint Primary Supervisor for Lucy Sladen(LAHP Studentship 2018) Socio-Economic and Cultural Change in post-Roman Britain: A Meta-Analysis of Changing Human-Animal Interaction and Exploitation.
2017- Joint Primary Supervisor for Ornella Prato (LAHP Studentship). Intertwined lives in the Mediterranean: Humans and animals at Etruscan Tarquinia.
2016- Joint Primary Supervisor for Ozlem Saritas (Ministry of Education Turkey Studentship). Hunting and Early Herding Strategies in the Neolithic of Central Anatolia: the 9th millenium site of Boncuklu Höyük. [Student registered at University of Liverpool].
2016- Primary Supervisor for Kate Swinson (LAHP Studentship). A metadata analysis of faunal turnover in the Levantine Epipalaeolithic: climate or human pressure?
2013- Primary Supervisor for Joseph Roe (Leverhulme Trust Studentship) Computational approaches to modeling wildlife behavioral ecology and hunting strategies in the Jordanian steppe.
2013- Joint Primary Supervisor for Elizabeth Farebrother (NERC Studentship). Animal use and change in the later prehistory of the Shaharazor Plain.