From the Institute's origins, founded in 1937 as a centre for archaeological training, to the Institute today, one of the largest and highly regarded centres for archaeology, cultural heritage and museum studies in the world.
Its degree programmes offer an unrivalled variety of course options, both theoretical and practical, covering a diverse array of archaeological topics, and wide-ranging global fieldwork opportunities.
The Institute hosts numerous events on many different aspects of archaeology and is linked to many other heritage institutions, archaeological societies and organizations, providing an outstanding research environment for staff, students and visitors.
With its global research and teaching activities, the Institute aims to provide archaeological opportunities of the highest quality to all, regardless of background. It is one of the very few places in the world actively pursuing research on a truly global scale in the archaeological sciences, heritage studies and world archaeology.
The Institute of Archaeology's mission is:
- to be internationally pre-eminent in the study, and comparative analysis, of world archaeology
- to enhance its national and international reputation for the quality and breadth of its multi-disciplinary and thematic approach to the study of the human past
- to promote best practice in the management of cultural heritage and in the study, care and preservation of archaeological artefacts
- to promote awareness of the problems caused by illicit trade in antiquities and the destruction of archaeological heritage that it entails
- to ensure that the social, political and economic contexts of the practice of archaeology are taught and appreciated
- to be at the forefront of international research in archaeological sciences
- to play a major role in furthering the understanding of London's archaeological and historical past
- to provide archaeological opportunities of the highest quality to all, regardless of background
You can read more about our teaching and research excellence, our facilities and our history using the links below.