The UCL Institute of Archaeology has a Publications Committee whose role is to promote the publication of material that reflects the breadth of research carried out and supported by us.
The Institute of Archaeology launched two new series in 2022 in partnership with Bloomsbury Academic: The World Archaeology Series, General Editor Ruth Whitehouse; and the Critical Cultural Heritage Series, General Editor Beverley Butler.
The first of these series promotes a programme which includes theory, research, pedagogy, reference material and good practice of the highest quality across archaeology, cultural heritage and cognate disciplines including ethnographic work and conference proceedings. The second, The Critical Cultural Heritage Series, specifically asks new questions about what heritage is and does, and why it is important; it seeks out as-yet-unconceptualised notions of heritage that traverse disciplinary boundaries and draw on perspectives from a similarly wide range of material.
Both series welcome submissions for authored and edited volumes from scholars and practitioners worldwide. So far, one title has been published in the World Archaeology Series.
These two Series enhance the Institute’s prestigious publication programme which started in 1977, with over 90 titles published, successively, by the Institute of Archaeology, UCL Press, Left Coast Press and Routledge, a part of the Taylor & Francis group.
The Institute also publishes, with BAR, the BAR UCL Institute of Archaeology PhD Series, launched in 2019.
Book proposals are welcomed from Institute staff and students and from anyone associated with the work of the Institute. Enquiries should initially be sent to Ruth Whitehouse (Chair of the Institute’s Publications Committee (email@example.com) and copied to Marion Cutting, the Committee’s Secretary (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Publications by Series
All our books published, grouped by Series, are listed here:
- General Series (with Routledge)
- Critical Cultural Heritage Series (with Routledge)
- Encounters with Ancient Egypt Series (with Routledge)
- World Archaeology Series (with Bloomsbury Academic)
- Critical Cultural Heritage Series (with Bloomsbury Academic)
- BAR UCL Institute of Archaeology PhD Series (with BAR)
Further details of each, including how to order on-line, can be found at:
- Bloomsbury Academic: https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/academic/
- Routledge: https://www.routledge.com/UCL-Institute-of-Archaeology-Publications/book-series/UCL and https://www.routledge.com/UCL-Institute-of-Archaeology-Critical-Cultural-Heritage-Series/book-series/CCHS
- BAR: https://www.barpublishing.com/sub-series/ucl-institute-of-archaeology-phd-series/
The Institute also produces the following 'in-house' journals:
- Annual Report of the Institute of Archaeology 1937-1958 (digitised and open access via UCL Library Services)
Full details of staff publications are available on their profile pages. A searchable database of staff publications is provided by UCL's Research Publications Service (UCL Discovery).