|Head/Clinical Director||Professor Philip Hawkins||020 7433 2815/2816|
|Emeritus Professor/Consultant||Professor Sir Mark Pepys||020 7433 2801/2802|
|Professor/Consultant||Professor Julian Gillmore||020 7433 2726|
|Readers/Senior Lecturers/Consultants||Dr Marianna Fontana||020 7433 2764|
|Dr Helen Lachmann||020 7433 2804|
|Dr Ashutosh Wechalekar||020 7433 2758|
|Dr Carol Whelan||020 7433 2789|
|Locum Consultants/Clinical Fellows||Dr Shameem Mahmood||020 7433 2770|
|Dr Richa Manwani||020 7433 2733|
|Dr Ana Martinez||020 7433 2777|
|Dr Cristina Quarta||020 7433 2789|
|Dr Tamer Rezk||020 7433 2823|
|Dr Sajitha Sachchithanantham||020 7433 2778|
|Dr Faye Sharpley||020 7433 2763|
|Specialist/Research Nurses||Darren Foard||020 7433 2814|
|Rene Williams||020 7433 2797|
|Clinic Coordinator||Eleanor Pyart||020 7433 2738|
|Centre Manager||Adrian Machinn||020 7433 2732|
|Ramon Lamarca||020 7433 2813|
|Centre Administrator/Academic PA||Jean Berkeley||020 7433 2816|
|Medical Secretaries||Sarah Louth||020 7433 2737/2798/2811|
|Transport & Accommodation||Onana Ayissi||020 7433 2812|
|General Enquiries||020 7433 2725|
|Fax||020 7433 2817|
The NHS National Amyloidosis Centre is the only centre in the UK specialising in amyloidosis and is part of University College London Centre for Amyloidosis and Acute Phase Proteins, one of the world's leading centres for amyloid research. The Centre has "state of the art" clinical and research facilities, and a team of highly qualified clinical, research and support staff.
We pioneered scintigraphic imaging (scanning) of amyloid as a quantitative diagnostic procedure and provide a comprehensive clinical service for patients with all types of acquired and hereditary systemic amyloidosis. The NHS National Amyloidosis Centre is commissioned by NHS National Specialised Services and funded by the Department of Health to provide a diagnostic and management advice service for the UK's national caseload of patients with amyloidosis and related disorders. We have evaluated over 10,000 patients. The clinical service includes:
- Detailed clinical assessment.
- Diagnosis, quantification and monitoring of amyloidosis with whole body SAP scintigraphy.
- Comprehensive expert diagnostic and monitoring studies of the heart, as required, by cardiac magnetic resonance, echocardiography and DPD scanning.
- Review of diagnostic biopsies and specialised immunohistochemistry to determine amyloid type.
- Characterisation and exclusion of hereditary amyloidosis by DNA testing; genetic counselling.
- Measurement and monitoring of specialised biochemical (blood) tests for serum free light chains and serum amyloid A protein.
- Recommendations for treatment and monitoring response.
- 3‑12 monthly follow‑up to assess response and further treatment requirements. Sometimes follow‑up assessment can be performed by telephone if patients live far away.
- Providing information and support to amyloidosis patients, their families and health providers.
- Systematic evaluation of existing and new treatments.
- Diagnosis, monitoring and treatment of inherited fever syndromes.