Information for patients on the coronavirus (COVID-19)
Head, Centre for Amyloidosis & Acute Phase Proteins and NAC Research Lead
|Professor Julian Gillmore||020 7433 2737/2798|
|NAC Clinical Lead||Professor Helen Lachmann||020 7433 2737/2798|
|Deputy Clinical and Research Lead||Professor Marianna Fontana||020 7433 2764|
|Emeritus Professor and Consultant||Professor Sir Mark Pepys||020 7433 2801|
|Professors/Consultants||Professor Philip Hawkins||020 7433 2737/2798|
|Professor Ashutosh Wechalekar||020 7433 2737/2798|
|Readers/Senior Lecturers/Consultants||Dr Dan Knight||020 7433 2765|
|Dr Ayesha Shameem Mahmood||020 7433 2737/2798|
|Dr Ana Martinez De Azcona Naharro||020 7433 2777|
|Dr Carol Whelan||020 7433 2737/2798|
|Dr Brendan Wisniowski||020 7433 2789|
|Clinical Research Staff||Dr Liza Chacko||020 7433 2777|
|Dr Steven Law||020 7433 2823|
|Dr Rishi Patel||020 7433 2777|
|Dr Sriram Ravichandran||020 7433 2763|
|Dr Yousuf Razvi||020 7433 2777|
|Lead Nurse||Angelique Smit||020 7433 2770|
|Lead Nuclear Medicine Technologist||David Hutt||020 7433 2742|
|Service Manager||Ramon Lamarca||020 7433 2756|
|Nursing Helpline||020 7433 2799/|
|Specialist/Research Nurses||Darren Foard|
|Clinical Trial Coordinator||Sarah Louth |
|020 7433 2723|
|Clinical Pathway Manager||Rizwan Shaukat||020 7433 2732|
|Medical Secretaries||Cauvery Shelat||020 7433 2737/2811|
|Appointmentsemail@example.com||020 7433 2812/2725/2800|
|Blood Results (excluding genetic testing results)||firstname.lastname@example.org||020 7433 2812|
|Transport & Accommodation||Onana Ayissi||020 7433 2812|
|General Enquiriesemail@example.com||020 7433 2811|
|Fax (for academic use only - please do not use for clinical matters)||020 7433 2817|
The NHS National Amyloidosis Centre is the only centre in the UK specialising in amyloidosis and is part of University College London Centre for Amyloidosis and Acute Phase Proteins, one of the world's leading centres for amyloid research. The Centre has "state of the art" clinical and research facilities, and a team of highly qualified clinical, research and support staff.
We pioneered scintigraphic imaging (scanning) of amyloid as a quantitative diagnostic procedure and provide a comprehensive clinical service for patients with all types of acquired and hereditary systemic amyloidosis. The NHS National Amyloidosis Centre is commissioned by NHS National Specialised Services and funded by the Department of Health to provide a diagnostic and management advice service for the UK's national caseload of patients with amyloidosis and related disorders. The clinical service includes:
- Detailed clinical assessment.
- Diagnosis, quantification and monitoring of amyloidosis with whole body SAP scintigraphy.
- Comprehensive expert diagnostic and monitoring studies of the heart, as required, by cardiac magnetic resonance, echocardiography and DPD scanning.
- Review of diagnostic biopsies and specialised immunohistochemistry to determine amyloid type.
- Characterisation and exclusion of hereditary amyloidosis by DNA testing; genetic counselling.
- Measurement and monitoring of specialised biochemical (blood) tests for serum free light chains and serum amyloid A protein.
- Recommendations for treatment and monitoring response.
- 3‑12 monthly follow‑up to assess response and further treatment requirements. Sometimes follow‑up assessment can be performed by telephone if patients live far away.
- Providing information and support to amyloidosis patients, their families and health providers.
- Systematic evaluation of existing and new treatments.
- Diagnosis, monitoring and treatment of inherited fever syndromes.