|Head/Clinical Director||Professor Philip Hawkins||020 7433 2811|
|Emeritus Professor/Consultant||Professor Sir Mark Pepys||020 7433 2801/2802|
|Professors/Consultants||Professor Julian Gillmore||020 7433 2811|
|Professor Ashutosh Wechalekar||020 7433 2811|
|Readers/Senior Lecturers/Consultants||Dr Marianna Fontana||020 7433 2764|
|Dr Dan Knight||020 7433 2765|
|Dr Helen Lachmann||020 7433 2811|
|Dr Carol Whelan||020 7433 2789|
|Clinical Research Staff||Dr Shameem Mahmood||020 7433 2778|
|Dr Ana Martinez De Azcona Naharro||020 7433 2777|
|Dr Cristina Quarta||020 7433 2789|
|Dr Sajitha Sachchithanantham||020 7433 2778|
|Dr Faye Sharpley||020 7433 2763|
|Lead Nurse||Angelique Smit||020 7433 2770|
|Specialist/Research Nurses||Beth Clarkson-Dodd||020 7433 2856|
|Darren Foard||020 7433 2814|
|Svetla Strehina||020 7433 2880|
|Michael Wood||020 7433 2797|
|Operations Manager||Adrian Machinn||020 7433 2732|
|Outpatients Administrative Manager||Ramon Lamarca||020 7433 2756|
|Medical Secretaries||Sarah Louth / Cauvery Shelat / Kay Law||020 7433 2811/2737/2798|
|Transport & Accommodation||Onana Ayissi||020 7433 2812|
|General Enquiries||020 7433 2725|
|Fax||020 7433 2817|
The NHS National Amyloidosis Centre is the only centre in the UK specialising in amyloidosis and is part of University College London Centre for Amyloidosis and Acute Phase Proteins, one of the world's leading centres for amyloid research. The Centre has "state of the art" clinical and research facilities, and a team of highly qualified clinical, research and support staff.
We pioneered scintigraphic imaging (scanning) of amyloid as a quantitative diagnostic procedure and provide a comprehensive clinical service for patients with all types of acquired and hereditary systemic amyloidosis. The NHS National Amyloidosis Centre is commissioned by NHS National Specialised Services and funded by the Department of Health to provide a diagnostic and management advice service for the UK's national caseload of patients with amyloidosis and related disorders. The clinical service includes:
- Detailed clinical assessment.
- Diagnosis, quantification and monitoring of amyloidosis with whole body SAP scintigraphy.
- Comprehensive expert diagnostic and monitoring studies of the heart, as required, by cardiac magnetic resonance, echocardiography and DPD scanning.
- Review of diagnostic biopsies and specialised immunohistochemistry to determine amyloid type.
- Characterisation and exclusion of hereditary amyloidosis by DNA testing; genetic counselling.
- Measurement and monitoring of specialised biochemical (blood) tests for serum free light chains and serum amyloid A protein.
- Recommendations for treatment and monitoring response.
- 3‑12 monthly follow‑up to assess response and further treatment requirements. Sometimes follow‑up assessment can be performed by telephone if patients live far away.
- Providing information and support to amyloidosis patients, their families and health providers.
- Systematic evaluation of existing and new treatments.
- Diagnosis, monitoring and treatment of inherited fever syndromes.