Please note that information about our Histology testing service can be found here and information about our Genetics testing service can be found here. The information contained on this page is only for the referral of patients to our service.
Referral letters for the amyloidosis service should be addressed to one of the following consultants:
- Dr Oliver Cohen, Consultant Haematologist
- Professor Marianna Fontana, Senior Lecturer / Hon Consultant Cardiologist
- Professor Julian Gillmore, Professor / Hon Consultant Nephrologist
- Professor Helen Lachmann, Professor / Hon Consultant Nephrologist
- Dr Shameem Mahmood, Consultant Haematologist
- Dr Ana Martinez Naharro, Consultant Cardiologist
- Professor Ashutosh Wechalekar, Professor / Hon Consultant Haematologist
- Dr Carol Whelan, Consultant Cardiologist
- Dr Brendan Wisniowski, Locum Consultant Haematologist
Referrals for the 'fever' systemic autoinflammatry syndromes service should be addressed to:
- Professor Helen Lachmann
- Dr Charalampia Papadopoulou, Consultant Paediatrician
Send referrals to:
National Amyloidosis Centre
Division of Medicine
University College London Medical School
Royal Free Hospital
Rowland Hill Street
London NW3 2PF
Please include the following details in the referral:
- Patient contact details, including full address, email and telephone number(s).
- Name and full contact details of referring consultant and/or GP.
- Any recent biopsies including bone marrow (date and hospital where performed) and a copy of the final biopsy report.
- Results of previous imaging (date and hospital where performed) and a copy of the final report:
- Echocardiogram, DPD or other bone scans, Cardiac MRI, CT or CT PET scan results, Skeletal survey.
- Any implanted metal work or devices such as pacemakers or ICD and if they are CMR compatible.
- If the patient has organ failure details of dialysis or organ transplantation.
- Relevant blood tests, in particular:
- Serum immunoglobulins, serum and urine electrophoresis and immunofixation and serum free light chan assays
- Renal and liver function, quantification of proteinuria
- Cardiac biomarkers such as NT pro-BNP and tropnin
- Previous bloods which assess chronic inflammation such as CRP, ESR and WBC if inflammatory disorders are suspected.
If you wish to check availability of appointments please contact:
Mr Rizwan Shaukat
Tel: 020 7433 2732
If you wish to discuss any clinical issues prior to the referral please contact:
Amyloid Centre Nurse help line on: 07790 989695
Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy
Please note that the NAC does not have expertise in the investigation/management of cerebral amyloid angiopathy. If that is the suspected diagnosis please consider referral to:
Professor David Werring, Comprehensive Stroke Service, National Hospital for Neurology & Neurosurgery, Queens Square, London, WC1 N3BG. firstname.lastname@example.org