Advice and Guidance

If you have any problems or difficulties, please discuss them with a member of staff. Specific questions about mathematical problems in your courses should in the first instance be taken up with the appropriate course lecturer. For more general questions (academic, personal, financial, accommodation, etc), you can talk with the following (see below for more details):

  1. Your personal tutor;
  2. The MSc Tutor, Dr S. Timoshin
  3. The Departmental Postgraduate Applied Tutor, Professor V Smyshlyaev
  4. The Departmental Postgraduate Pure Tutor, Dr J Talbot
  5. The Head of Department, Professor Robb McDonald (Room 608), or any other member of staff you know
  6. In the maths office (Room 610), where a secretary will deal with matters concerned with MSc students, although you might also need to see the Departmental Manager, Ms Helen Higgins, about matters to do with finance. 
  7. Outside the Department, there are the College support services, which include:

    • the Director os Student Support and Wellbeing is Denise Long denise.long AT -
    • the Student Mediator Dr Ruth Siddall, studentmediator AT
    • the UCL Union, The Rights and Advice Centre, First Floor of the Bloomsbury Theatre, 15 Gordon Street -
    • the Student Psychological Service, located at 3 Taviton Street (ground floor) (3 minutes walk from the Department): students can just go along there or phone (020 7679 1487). The Student Psychological Service provides you with an accessible and effective professional resource for students who are facing emotional and psychological problems -
    • UCL Advisor to Women Students – contact Miss Denise Longe (Director, Student Support and Wellbeing), Student Support and Wellbeing Office, 4 Taviton Street.

If you become unhappy with your programme of study, or feel that you are falling behind and cannot cope, or are experiencing other problems, it is very important that you contact the Course Director, Professor FT Smith or the MSc Tutor Dr S Timoshin (or another member of staff of the department) straightaway.  These difficulties can often be resolved but it is much easier if they are dealt with promptly (this is true regardless of whether you need some help to continue with the course, wish to change course, or even to give up the course).

If you experience racial or sexual harassment, please discuss it with someone from the list above.  More details on this are given on UCL website at: