UCL Library Services
- About us
- Electronic resources
- Libraries and study spaces
- Bookable study spaces
- Learning spaces
- UCL Bartlett Library
- UCL Cruciform Hub
- UCL Ear Institute & Hearing Loss
- UCL Eastman Dental Library
- UCL Institute of Archaeology Library
- UCL Institute of Child Health Library
- UCL Institute of Education Library
- UCL Institute of Neurology, Queen Square Library
- UCL Institute of Orthopaedics Library
- The Joint Library of Ophthalmology
- UCL Language & Speech Science Library
- UCL Main Library
- UCL Qatar Library
- Royal Free Hospital Medical Library
- UCL School of Pharmacy Library
- UCL SSEES Library
- UCL Science Library
- UCL Special Collections
- Whittington Health Library
- Opening hours
- Open Access
- Special Collections, Archives & Exhibitions
- Getting help
- Contact us
- A-Z of the library
UCL Main Library
Construction works near Main Library until early 2016
Please note that Main Library users may experience noise disturbances in reading rooms from works taking place on the UCL Wilkins Terrace project.
Work has begun on the UCL Wilkins Terrace site to demolish the Lower Refectory. The demolition will involve the technique of ‘saw-cutting’ and is expected to cause noise disruption to surrounding areas. To mitigate noise during this process, contractors will be using acoustic baffling. Working hours will be from 8am until around 3pm. This phase of the works is scheduled to take place through until mid-January.
- Opening hours
- Address and contact details
- Subject coverage and guides
- Disabled access
- Floor plans
- Self guided tour
|Monday||Open from 08:45||09:30 - 20:45|
|Tuesday||24 hour opening||09:30 - 20:45|
||24 hour opening||09:30 - 20:45|
||24 hour opening||09:30 - 20:45|
||24 hour opening||10:00 - 20:45|
||Close at 21:00||11:00 - 17:45|
11:00 - 21:00
(holders of UCL Library Cards only)
|Monday 22nd December||Library 08:45 then 24 hours (Issue Desk 09:30-20:45)|
|Tuesday 23rd December||Library closes at 22:30 (Issue Desk 09:30-20:45)|
|Wednesday 24th December - Friday 2nd January 2015||LIBRARY CLOSED|
|Saturday 3rd January||
Library open 11:00 - 21:00
(Issue Desk 11:00 - 17:45)
Sunday 4th January
Library open 11:00 - 21:00
(Issue Desk closed)
During weekends and evening periods we are open principally to offer a books loans service and to handle related queries. Enquiries of a more complex nature or regarding other services may need to be referred to staff who work office hours. See our help pages for details.
In addition, the Library does not manage general computing, which is instead the responsibility of the Information Systems Division. Their Information Service Desk's opening hours, plus further information, are available.
Self-Service coming to the Main Library
This summer, we’re refurbishing some of our service areas alongside installation of self-service to provide a more efficient and updated service for the 2014-15 academic year.
Necessary building work for this project has now begun and is expected to finish in October 2014.
The refurbishment project will include:
- Installing an automated returns machine in the current Computer Workroom
- Re-locating the Computer Workroom to the Reference Reading Room, and providing more desktop PCs.
Providing a new service area where the Issue Desk is currently, to provide:
- Three Self-issue and renewal terminals
- Explore access points
- Staff available to help you use the library and help you manage your library account
- A self-service collection point for requested books
- A discrete self-service short loan collection for high demand material
- A self-service audio-visual collection
For more information about the introduction of self-service across
other UCL Libraries and for more information about the Main Library
project, see our webpage.
Relocation of the Issue Desk
For the duration of the summer building work, the Issue Desk has relocated to the Reference Room.
Relocation of Issue Desk Collections
For the duration of the summer building work, the Issue Desk Collections - the short loan book collection has been moved into the corridor outside the Issue Desk.
The DVD collection is now located in the Literature Corrdior. Please ask staff for help locating material if you need to.
- Address: Wilkins Building, Gower Street, WC1E 6BT
- Issue Desk: 020 7679 7792
- Account queries: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enquiries: email@example.com
- Nearest tube stations: Euston, Euston Square, Goodge Street, Warren Street
- Other ways of getting in touch: Come in to the issue or reference desks and we'll be happy to help. You can also see our getting help webpages.
The Main Library houses collections relating to the following subject areas:
The Main Library is located on the 1st floor of the Wilkins Building.
The easiest way to reach it is to enter the main UCL site via the Gower Street entrance, walk around the left hand side of the central portico and enter the door at the top of the ramp. Once inside, turn left and go through the door at the end of the small corridor. The library entrance and reception desk are to the right, adjacent to the Octagon.
Most floors and collections are now accessible from the lift installed next to the Library's main entrance. There are, however, a few parts of certain collections that remain difficult to access due to the nature of the Main Library buildings. For details of which collections are involved and how to make arrangements to over come any difficulties, please see Information for users with disabilities or contact the Library's Disabled Users' Officer, or phone 020 7679 7110.
Photocopying, Printing and Scanning
All photocopy, printing and scanning machines (MFDs) will be located in the Reference Room from Friday 15th August. All visitors to the library can use the devices for copying. All copying is subject to copyright regulations.
Using the machines:
UCL staff and students need to present their UCL ID at the device to activate it. Credit can be added to your account using cask at the available kiosk.
All other visitors should obtain a log-in code and credit their account at the kiosk.
Staff and students should send printing to the printer named "print-ucl".
Cost of copying and printing:
- A4 black and white (single or double-sided) = 5p per sheet
- A4 colour (single-side) = 25p per sheet
- A4 colour (double-sided) = 40p per sheet
- A3 black and white (single or double-sided) = 10p per sheet
- A3 colour (single-side) = 50p per sheet
- A3 colour (double-sided) = 90p per sheet
Four combined DVD players (2 with VIDEO facilities) are available in the viewing room (including Region 1 and Blu-ray options) which can be accessed just to the right of the Reference Room; headphones are available for use within the room. Many DVD's are available from the Issue Desk room.
**IMPORTANT NOTE** There will be limited access to the Audio-Visual room for the duration of the summer building work. If you would like to use the AV facilities, please advise us in advance of your visit (up to one day before) so we can ensure this is available to you. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 0207 679 7792.
For the duration of the summer building works, 4 computer workstations will be available in the Reference Room. The former cluster room will be closed. There are also a few workstations in the Hebrew and Jewish Studies section on the 2nd floor located straight ahead as you reach the top of the main entrance stairway as well as in Dutch (along the end of History) where there are 8 workstations.
Digital Microfilm Scanner
There will be limited access to this service for the duration of the building work. If you would like to use the this facility, please advise us in advance of your visit (up to one day before) so we can ensure this is available to you. Please email email@example.com or telephone 0207 679 7792.
Inter Library Loans
The Main Library participates in the centralised inter library loans service.
Page last modified on 04 dec 14 14:39