UCL Library Services
- About us
- Electronic resources
- Libraries and study spaces
- Opening hours
- Bookable study spaces
- Available seats
- Postgraduate spaces
- Group work areas
- Quiet study spaces
- Learning spaces
- UCL Bartlett Library
- UCL Cruciform Hub
- UCL Ear Institute & Hearing Loss
- UCL Eastman Dental Library
- UCL Great Ormond Street Institute of Child Health Library
- UCL Institute of Archaeology Library
- UCL Institute of Education Library
- UCL Institute of Neurology, Queen Square Library
- UCL Institute of Orthopaedics Library
- The Joint Library of Ophthalmology
- UCL Language & Speech Science Library
- UCL Main Library
- UCL Qatar Library
- Royal Free Hospital Medical Library
- UCL School of Pharmacy Library
- UCL SSEES Library
- UCL Science Library
- UCL Senate House Hub
- UCL Special Collections
- Whittington Health Library
- Opening hours
- Open Access
- Research Data Management
- UCL Press
- Special Collections, Archives & Exhibitions
- Getting help
- Customer Service
- Contact us
- A-Z of the library
UCL Main Library
On-going construction works near Main Library
Main Library and Roof Garden Student Hub
Wilkins Terrace Project
Current works on the project include extension and refurbishment of the UCL Lower Refectory and construction of the new Portland stone Wilkins Upper Terrace.
New UCL Student Centre
Work has begun on construction of the new UCL Student Centre. Access to the UCL campus from Gordon Street is now closed. Information can be found on the Student Centre webpage.
Noise cancelling headphones can be borrowed from the Main Library Short Loan Collection.
UCL Senate House Hub has opened to provide study space away from the construction works and can be used for quiet or social study.
- Opening hours
- Current available seats
- Address and contact details
- Subject coverage and guides
- Disabled access
- Floor plans
- Self guided tour
Art and Economics Reading Rooms
The Art and Economics Reading Rooms will be closed from Monday 12th September to Wednesday 21st September. This is due to essential collection management work being carried out. If you need access to any material from these sections, please apply at the Main Library Help Point, where staff will make every effort to retrieve books if they are available. We cannot guarantee access to the full collection until the rooms reopen on Thursday 22nd September.
Need a computer? We have a laptop loans service in the Main Library. Located in the Cluster Room on the First Floor. Please ask staff if you need any assistance.
- Address: Wilkins Building, Gower Street, WC1E 6BT
- Help Point: 020 7679 7792
- Account queries: email@example.com
- Enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nearest tube stations: Euston, Euston Square, Goodge Street, Warren Street
- Other ways of getting in touch: Come in to the help point or reference desk and we'll be happy to help. You can also see our getting help webpages.
- Opening hours
The Main Library houses collections relating to the following subject areas:
The Main Library is located on the 1st floor of the Wilkins Building.
The easiest way to reach it is to enter the main UCL site via the Gower Street entrance, walk around the left hand side of the central portico and enter the door at the top of the ramp. Once inside, turn left and go through the door at the end of the small corridor. The library entrance and reception desk are to the right, adjacent to the Octagon.
Most floors and collections are now accessible from the lift installed next to the Library's main entrance. There are, however, a few parts of certain collections that remain difficult to access due to the nature of the Main Library buildings. For details of which collections are involved and how to make arrangements to over come any difficulties, please see Information for users with disabilities or contact the Library's Disabled Users' Officer, or phone 020 7679 7110.
Photocopying, Printing and Scanning
All photocopy, printing and scanning machines (MFDs) are located in the Main Help Point area and the Reference room. All visitors to the library can use the devices for copying. All copying is subject to copyright regulations.
Using the machines:
UCL staff and students need to present their UCL ID at the device to activate it. Credit can be added to your account using cask at the available kiosk.
All other visitors should obtain a log-in code and credit their account at the kiosk.
Staff and students should send printing to the printer named "print-ucl".
Cost of copying and printing:
- A4 black and white (single or double-sided) = 5p per sheet
- A4 colour (single-side) = 25p per sheet
- A4 colour (double-sided) = 40p per sheet
- A3 black and white (single or double-sided) = 10p per sheet
- A3 colour (single-side) = 50p per sheet
- A3 colour (double-sided) = 90p per sheet
Four combined DVD players (2 with VIDEO facilities) are available in the viewing room (including Region 1 and Blu-ray options) which can be accessed just to the right of the Help Point area; headphones are available for use within the room. Many DVD's are also available.
There is a cluster room with 16 computers based in the Reference room. There are also a few workstations in the Hebrew and Jewish Studies section on the 2nd floor located straight ahead as you reach the top of the main entrance stairway as well as in Dutch (along the end of History) where there are 8 workstations.
Digital Microfilm Scanner
There is a digital microfilm scanner is available in the viewing room to the right of the Help Point area.
Inter Library Loans
The Main Library participates in the centralised inter library loans service.
Page last modified on 07 sep 16 15:10