Long- and short-term goals
Overview of how to design an activity where students set short- and long-term targets or goals
29 April 2021
About this activity
To draw together progression with the big picture students set short- and long-term targets.
The short term targets could be reviewed weekly or fortnightly and the long term targets at the end of term.
Having a long term target may give more cogency to the students’ and lecturers’ short term targets. It may also allow the student to focus on what really motivates them about a subject.
Why use it
- Enables students to set and monitor their own progress;
- Helps to keep the big picture in mind;
- Provides an opportunity to generate feedback;
- Enables constructive peer-feedback and interaction.
When to use it
- At the start of a module, reviewed regularly;
- Could link well to personal tutoring.
Digital tools that might be used
- Breakout rooms (Zoom, BB Collaborate, MS Teams)'
- Shared documents.
Speed of set up time
1 to15 minutes to set up. Longer if accompanied by a brief and exemplars.
- Design the instrument/tool/questions;
- Looking over and feeding back
- Opportunity for peer discussion.
Got something to say? Comment on this activity on the IDEAs blog.