UCL Education Awards winners announced
8 June 2022
Winners of 2022 UCL Education Awards announced.
We are delighted to announce the winners of the 2022 UCL Education Awards.
In the first in-person awards ceremony since the start of the pandemic, staff and students from across UCL came together on Wednesday 8 June on the Wilkin’s Terrace and North Cloisters to celebrate the staff who excel in teaching and supporting student learning.
The Education Awards comprise of:
- UCL Education Awards (staff nominated by staff)
- Student Choice Awards (run by the UCL Students’ Union, staff nominated by students)
- Academic Rep of the Year Awards (Reps nominated by students and staff)
While the Student Choice Awards focus on rewarding excellence in practice, as experienced by students, UCL Education Awards recognise the work of colleagues that is less visible to students; work that has enabled excellent practice or facilitated innovation in teaching and learning.
The awards were presented by Professor Kathy Armour, Vice-Provost Education and Student Experience, and Ayman Benmati, SU Education Officer.
Professor Kathy Armour, Vice-Provost Education and Student Experience said: “The Education Awards are an opportunity to recognise the hard work, dedication and skills of those staff who teach or support teaching and learning. These are colleagues who ensure that UCL students can thrive and achieve their potential. At this event we ensure that this excellent work does not go unnoticed, and we offer many congratulations to all the nominees and winners.”
Individual Award winners
- Academic support, with a focus on personal tutoring and/or research supervision - Kalina Zhekova
- Assessment and Feedback - Corisande Fenwick
- Innovation and Transformation, with a focus building learning communities - Sarah Bennett
- Openness and Inclusion – Cathy Elliott
- Postgraduate Teaching Assistants (PGTAs) - Lotte Hargrave
- Staff-student partnership - Beth Barnett-Sanders
- Sustainability - Paolo Taticchi
- Outstanding Contribution - Helen Matthews
Team Award winners
- Academic support, with a focus on personal tutoring and/or research supervision
- UCL School of Slavonic & East European Studies - Christian Emery, Aglaya Snetkov, Michael Wozniak, Robert Bodden Alex Allsopp and Alison Davie
- Innovation and Transformation, with a focus on building learning communities - UCL School of Pharmacy, Life Sciences, Dr Stephen Hilton, Dr Zoe Waller, Dr Gary Parkinson, Mr Cory Beckwith, Dr Benjamin Bowles, Miss Mireia Benito, Miss Sophie Schafhauser, Mr Jean Charles Sarraf, Miss Tamara Fajinmi and Mr Nazrul Bin Abdullah (have put team first)
- Innovation and Transformation, with a focus on building learning communities - Department of Chemistry, Mathematical & Physical Sciences, Liz Munday, Tamara Alhilfi, J.L. Kiappes, Martyn Towner, Claire Gacki, Crosby Medley, Alan Philcox, Dave Webb, Luka Nunar, Helena Wong, Katherine Holt, Gopinathan Sankar, Yang Xu and Hannah Shalloe
- Openness and Inclusion - Medical Sciences, Rima Chakrabarti, Kavita Jaidev, John Hines, Tor Wright, Maylani Appasamy, UCL Medical School, Quality Assurance and Enhancement Unit (QAEU)
- Staff-student partnership - UCL Medical School, Medical Sciences, Rupa Lakhani, Tina Nyazika, Sarah Bennett, Eloise Evans, Kiran Mehta & Charlotte Casteleyn
National Teaching Fellowship Scheme
- UCL Nominee for the National Teaching Fellowship Scheme - John Mitchell
Student Choice Award Winners
- Active Student Partnership – Keri Ka-Yee Wong, Institute of Education
- Amazing Support Staff - Kate Moore, Faculty of Social & Historical Sciences
- Brilliant Research-based Education - Wayne Holmes, Institute of Education
- Diverse & Inclusive Education - Robert Simpson and Kim Leontiev, Faculty of Arts & Humanities
- Excellent Personal Tutoring - David Scanlon, Faculty of Mathematical & Physical Sciences
- Exceptional Feedback - Jorge Díaz-Cintas, Faculty of Arts & Humanities
- Inspiring Teaching Delivery - Ahmed Saadé, Faculty of Social & Historical Sciences
A massive congratulations to all the winners.
For more information about the UCL Education Awards please visit the website.