Supervising UG and PGT research projects 25 March
25 March 2019, 11:00 am–1:00 pm
For early career research and teaching staff who supervise masters or undergraduate projects: either lab or desk-based under either formal or informal arrangements.
UCL Arena Centre
Arena Room, 10th Floor1-19 Torrington Place, LondonLondonWC1E 7HBUnited Kingdom
Monday 25 March 11:00 - 13:00
UCL Arena Centre are delivering this session, which is open to all staff at UCL early career and teaching staff who supervise masters or undergraduate project work
This workshop will cover:
- dos and don’ts’, avoiding plagiarism, research integrity, being confident in your role as second supervisor.
- how to establish a good relationship from the start; setting expectations; managing boundaries and establishing ground rules.
- what to do if you aren’t the official supervisor, but find yourself having to give a student (particularly in a lab setting) a lot of support. Health and safety and managing student demands about use of lab space.
After attending this session you will
- confidently conduct a first meeting with a new supervisee and ensure that ground rules are established and expectations shared
- demonstrate understanding of how supervisory experience can be used to evidence your teaching experience
Who should attend (H2)
Early career research and teaching staff who have, or expect to have, responsibility for supervising the project work of masters or undergraduate students.