UCL is the only university offering single honours degrees in History and Philosophy of Science BSc and Sociology and Politics of Science BSc.
UCL is the only university offering these single honours degrees. Our programmes study how scientific knowledge is created and used. They allow you to combine a passion for science with an interdisciplinary approach to the study of the humanities and social sciences. You can find details of our degree courses below, or visit our Undergraduate Admissions FAQ to find out how to apply.
Listen to students who were in their first year talk about their choices to study our degrees and to study at UCL.
- history of science, technology, and medicine from antiquity to the 20th century
- philosophy of science and medicine
- integrated history and philosophy of science (a thriving discipline we helped invent!)
UCAS U80 V550 History and Philosophy of Science BSc
- science policy, ethics, and governance
- science communication, engagement and evaluation
- sociology of modern science and technology
UCAS U80 L391 Sociology and Politics of Science BSc
STS contributes to UCL's highly successful programme in Natural Sciences. These are for those wanting general training in the life, physical, or mathematical sciences. STS contributes two "streams" in this programme:
More information is available via the STS Natural Sciences page.
Modern Language Plus BA
UCL's Modern Language Plus BA offers enormous choice and flexibility, combining a modern language (either one you have prior knowledge of, or one that is new to you), together with another discipline. Examples:
- German and History and Philosophy of Science (RY00)
- French and History and Philosophy of Science (RY00)
- Dutch and History and Philosophy of Science (RY00)
- Spanish with Science and Society (RY00)
- Italian and Science and Society (RY00)
You also spend a year abroad. This is a four-year programme leading to a BA (honours) degree. More information is available via the Modern Language Plus BA page.
Medical School integrated BSc
STS offers two integrated BSc degrees - these are currently only open to UCL Medical students. More information can be found at the STS iBSc page.