The aim of the Brown Family Bursary is to enable and encourage academically excellent students in financial need to pursue their postgraduate studies at UCL.
Value: £15,000 (for one year)
Available to: Prospective students
Selection criteria: Financial need
Eligible fee status: UK
Eligible programmes: Postgraduate taught in certain faculties (listed below)
Additional eligibility criteria: First-class undergraduate degree
Deadline: This scheme is now closed for 2020/21
Candidates must fulfil all of the following criteria:
- be ordinarily resident in the UK;
- obtain a first-class Bachelor's degree prior to commencing a Master's at UCL;
- be in financial need (as determined by the UCL Student Funding Office);
- hold an offer to study a full-time Master's degree at UCL in the Faculties of the Built Environment, Engineering Sciences or Mathematical & Physical Sciences (BEAMS) in 2020/21.
Value, benefits, and duration
- There is 1 (one) award available in 2020/21.
- The value of the award is £15,000.
- The award is tenable for one year only.
- The Brown Family Bursary may be held alongside other scholarships, studentships, awards, or bursaries. The amount of the UCL award may be adjusted depending on the total value of other funds received by the student.
- Award recipients are obliged to inform the UCL Student Funding Office immediately of any other funding they are awarded towards their UCL Master’s degree studies, before or subsequent to the Brown Family Bursary.
- The bursary will first be applied to the recipient’s tuition fees, with any remainder payable to the recipient in three equal instalments throughout the academic year towards maintenance.
The bursary is awarded on the basis of financial need and upon the recommendation of the Student Funding Office.
How to apply
Applications to this scholarship are now closed
You need to hold an offer of a place at UCL in order to apply for the scholarship, so you are advised to apply for an eligible degree at UCL in good time for the Admissions Office and the relevant academic department to process and respond to your application.
Instructions for accessing the online scholarship application form:
- Login to Portico with your normal details.
- Click on the ‘View’ button for the ‘Active Application’ that you wish to apply for funding for.
- In the application screen, click on the ‘Funding’ in the menu at the top of the page.
- You are now on the funding page. To find out which funds you are eligible to apply for click 'Check and apply' under ‘Funds Available’.
- Click on the name of the scheme that you wish to apply for.
NB. For each programme that you wish to apply for funding for, you will need to submit a separate scholarship application form.
For help completing the form please read our Master's Scholarship Application Guidance.
The deadline for applications to this scholarship was at 5pm on Thursday 14 May 2020.
Successful candidates for 2020/21 have now been contacted.