UCL Medical School is dedicated to delivering world class education, research, and other scholarly activities within medical education that benefit patients and society, healthcare practice and practitioners and the healthcare education community nationally and internationally.
The Division strives for excellence across teaching, research and knowledge transfer activity and aims to be a pathfinder for achieving and maintaining world-class and sector-influencing activity across these three domains.
The Division aims to attract and develop the most able and committed students, academics and professional services staff to enable it to become the leading Medical School in the UK and among the top five in the world. We aim to do this by:
- having a strong academic reputation and a culture of using best evidence to shape our practices;
- producing the distinctive UCL Doctor ready to thrive in the modern healthcare environment;
- ensuring we have satisfied and well supported students and are providing the best possible learning facilities;
- valuing and developing our staff and utilising their skills and expertise across the activities of the Division
- developing and disseminating our educational research and scholarship activity;
- developing our highly regarded enterprise and knowledge transfer activities to improve our global reputation, relevance, reach and impact
- advancing the development of healthcare educators and practitioners and through the provision of impactful, research informed and relevant postgraduate and professional education
Our strategic goals 2016-2021 are:
- Maintaining and growing an excellent MBBS programme: to maintain our position as a leading MBBS programme in the UK and internationally and to demonstrate that excellent performance across a variety of metrics
- Increasing our research excellence in outputs, impact and research funding to becoming a beacon of excellence in medical education research nationally and internationally, particularly in the areas of assessment and attainment
- Developing and embedding our enterprise and knowledge transfer activity: to broaden industry engagement; to improve knowledge transfer and global impact of our work in its broadest sense; and to develop a robust operating model that embeds enterprise as ‘core business’ with a divisionally oriented approach
- Build capacity and diversity in our postgraduate education activity: ensuring that our programmes and courses are mindful of the changing contexts and demands for healthcare educators and practitioners and to build a research pipeline by increasing the number of PhD students