Using BSL interpretation in a Zoom meeting or webinar
This guide explains how to assign a BSL interpreter to a Zoom meeting or webinar, turn on and view the interpretation during a meeting or webinar.
This guide is aimed at
You must turn on language interpretation when scheduling the meeting or webinar. Language interpretation cannot be used with Personal Meeting ID (PMI).
- Go to the UCL Zoom website and sign in using your UCL userid and password.
- Select Schedule a meeting.
- Next to Meeting ID, select Generate Automatically. This setting is required for language interpretation.
- Next to Interpretation, select the Enable language interpretation check box.
- Under language, select BSL. This will create a language channel in your meeting, You can assign the interpreter when scheduling or during the meeting.
- Click Save.
Note: The pre-assigned interpreters must be signed in to the account associated with the chosen email address. If they are not signed in with that email address when joining the meeting or webinar, they will not be recognized as an interpreter; however, you can manually assign them to be the interpreter in the meeting.
Start BSL interpretation
- Start or join a meeting
- Click Interpretation in the meeting controls. Add the interpreter if necessary.
- Click Start to begin the interpretation sessions. After you click Start, the interpreter will receive a message that they have been assigned as a BSL interpreter.
- Interpreters and attendees can now click Interpretation in the meeting controls and select the BSL language channel.
- Advise attendees requiring BSL interpretation to select Gallery view and pin the speaker and interpreter's videos so they appear side by side on screen. This will only affect their view. You will need to enable the multi-pin option for these attendees by clicking the three dots next to their name in the participants pane and chosing Allow to Multi-pin.
- Alternatively, you can spotlight the speaker and the interpreter, however, the interpreter will stay in view for everyone.
- To end the interpretation session, click the Interpretation in the meeting controls and select End.
Note: Pre-assigned interpreters must be signed in to the account associated with the chosen email address. If they are not signed in with that email address when joining the session, they will not be recognized as an interpreter; you can however can manually assign them to be the interpreter in the meeting.
Recording a meeting with a BSL interpreter
To show the speaker and BSL interpreter side by side in a recording you must spotlight both and save the recording to the cloud. The gallery view version of the recording will then show this view and can be shared with anyone who needs BSL interpretation.
Watch a BSL Interpretation as an attendee
- Click on Interpretation and select the BSL channel.
- In Gallery View, pin the interpreters video and it will become your active view. To see the speaker at the same time, pin their video as well. The meeting host will need to enable Multi-pin for you. If you pin multiple videos they will appear from left to right in the order that you pin them.
Note: Pinning another participant's video will only affect your local view and local recording.