Create a message rule in Outlook Web Access (OWA)
Manage your messages using rules that automatically act on arriving or sent messages that meets conditions you specify.
Before you start...
WARNING: Using OWA to set message rules will delete any rules that have been turned off in Outlook 2016/2013. If you do not want these rules to be deleted, please create the new rule using your existing Outlook client and not by using OWA.
- Check your browser compatibility to ensure you meet the minimum requirements for using OWA.
1. In Mail view, click on Settings (visible as a cog wheel icon) within the top-right corner. Select View all Outlook settings.
2. A Settings window will appear. Select Email. Select Rules.
3. Beneath Rules, select Add new rule. A new inbox rule prompt will appear.
4. Enter the desired name of the rule within the Name your rule field. Beneath Add a condition, select the provided drop-down list and specify the criteria you would like the rule to detect (e.g. From > 'IT Services'). If you would like to specify additional criteria for your rule to match, select Add another condition beneath your first entry.
5. Beneath Add an action, select the provided drop-down list and specify the action you would like your rule to perform (e.g. Move To > 'IT Services' folder). Select Add another action if you would like to specify an additional action.
6. If you would like to add any exceptions to your rule, select Add an exception. Check all the rule conditions are correct and click OK to apply.
7. Your new message rule has now been set and added to the inbox rule list. You can enable or disable the rule by selecting the on/off toggle icon next to the rule name.
Note: By default, rules will only operate on new messages as they are received. If you would like to run the rule on existing messages, navigate to the rule following steps one and two above and select Run rule now (visible as a play arrow icon).
Related guides and other info:
- Add an attachment
- Add a signature
- Show/hide bcc field
- Send email in HTML or plain text
- Search for messages
Help and support
- Contact the IT Services.