Connecting to Print@UCL with macOS
This guide explains how to connect your macOS device to the Print@UCL queue and print from a Print@UCL device.
Please note: Every time your password changes or expires you will need to update your keychain.
ISD are unable to offer support for Mac OS beyond the current release and the 2 releases before that. Although the information provided may work on older versions of OS X, should you run into problems the advice is to update and try again.
This guide is aimed at...
- IT Administrators
- SLMS staff
Before you start...
- You will need an Apple Mac computer running Mac OSX and connected to the UCL network either via ethernet, eduroam or UCL VPN
- Access to a Print @ UCL device in order to collect your print job
- A UCL ID card and user ID
- Remove any old queues associated with print.ad.ucl.ac.uk
Download the macOS print driver (link to Xerox website)
Once downloaded, double-click to open the install file and double-click again to begin the installation
Click Allow when asked to determine if the software can be installed
Continue with the installation process (agreeing to the terms of the license agreement) and finally click Install (you be prompted for you password)
- At the Select a Printer window (Fig.1), exit the installer by clicking the red X in the top left corner
Fig.1 – Select a Print window
Go to System Preferences > Printers & Scanners
At the Printers & Scanners window, click the + button to add a printer
At the Add Printer window, select the Advanced tab (shown as two cogs) and wait a few seconds to load
If you cannot see the Advanced tab, hold down the CTRL key, click an icon and select Customize Toolbar. Drag the Advanced icon on to the tool bar.
Enter the details as below:
Type: Windows printer via spools (this may be displayed as Windows on older o/s)
Use: Click the dropdown menu and select Select Software... Search for and select Xerox Altalink C8055 then click OK
While the window is loading/setting up, click Configure
Select the following options when configuring the printer:
Paper trays: 5 Trays
Hole Punch Module: Not installed
Tri-Fold Module: Not installed
LAN Fax Module: Not installed
Lan Fax Email Confirmation: Not installed
Job storage: Installed
Finisher: Office Finisher LX with Booklet Maker
Click OK to add the print queue
- The first time you print a document you will be prompted for a Name and Password. Enter your UCL credentials as below:
Name: your UCL userID (e.g. ucaazzz)
Password: your UCL password
Add tick to remember this password in your keychain
Recommended print settings
- Open the Print window in any application e.g. Safari, Word, Acrobat
- Click Show Details in the Print window (Fig.2)
Fig.2 – Print window
- Click the dropdown menu (Fig.3) where it says Safari (this will be different depending on which application you are printing from) and select Printer Features
Fig.3 – Dropdown menu on Print window
- Ensure Xerox Black and White is set to On (Fig.4)
Fig.4 – Xerox Black and White set to On
- Under Feature Sets select Advanced
- When in the Advanced menu change XRBanner Sheet to Off (Fig.5)
Fig.5 – XRBannerSheet set to Off
- Click on the Presets dropdown (Fig.6) and select Save Current Settings as Preset
Fig.6 – Presets dropdown
- Name the preset "Mono Duplex" and select Only this printer
- Click OK
Related guides & other info
Help & Support
For further help and assistance you will need to contact the IT Services.