1st Faculty of Brain Sciences PGR Student Conference 2021
18 June 2021
We're delighted to report on the success of the Conference, organised by Committee members chaired by Javier Bautista (PhD researcher at UCL Queen Square Institute of Neurology) held on 27th May 2021.
With 59 speakers in a long-day conference, it was an exciting opportunity to hear about and discuss ongoing research carried out by PGR students (MRes, PhD and Professional Doctorates) across the whole Faculty.
Opening with a welcome from the Dean Prof Alan Thompson, followed by a series of presentations from PGR students and the 3 Minute Thesis competition, the conference successfully provided a platform for PGR students and staff members to virtually gather, disseminate their research, develop science communication and public engagement skills, and promote networking and meaningful interactions.
And at the end of the day, there were four winner winners in different categories, receiving each a prize of £50:
- William Macken (UCL Queen Square Institute of Neurology) - Best early-stage PGR talk
- Modinat Liadi (UCL Queen Square Institute of Neurology) - Best late-stage PGR talk
- Atika Safitri (UCL Institute of Ophthalmology) - People’s choice award for best 3MT presentation
- Mica Clarke (UCL Queen Square Institute of Neurology) - Best 3MT presentation
Having received fantastic feedback, the conference will hopefully take place face-to-face next year and become a tradition in our Faculty. The conference organising committee would like to thank all the speakers, judges and the Dean. The committee would also like to thank UCL ChangeMakers and the Faculty of Brain Sciences for supporting this conference.
The Conference Organising Committee members.
- Javier Bautista (Chair, UCL Queen Square Institute of Neurology)
- Tiffeny James (Division of Psychiatry)
- Alkistis Saramandi (Division of Psychology and Language Sciences)
- Cliona Farrell (Dementia Research Institute)
- Cailtin McDonald (Institute of Cognitive Neurosciences)
- Phillip Muza (UCL Queen Square Institute of Neurology)
- Enrique Childress (Division of Psychology and Language Sciences)
- Rik Ganly-Thomas (Staff champion)