Poverty’s impact on mental health, food insecurity and academic performance | RFTRW: S21E01
27 November 2023
This podcast hears how mental health and life chances of young people and their parents are being dramatically affected by post-pandemic cost of living pressures.
Research for the Real World: S21E01
Deputy Director, Centre for Education Policy and Equalising Opportunities
Dr Jake Anders returns to Research for the Real World to share findings from the COVID Social Mobility and Opportunities Study (COSMO) looking at the impact of financial struggles faced by families.
Not only is there an elevated risk of psychological distress, the research also found food bank use and long-term poverty is associated with lower GCSE attainment. This sparks additional concerns about the long-term impact of the current cost-of-living crisis.
Listen to the podcast
You can also listen to the podcast on:
- Dr Jake Anders' research profile
- Lower GCSE grades for children in families relying on food banks
- Centre for Education Policy and Equalising Opportunities
- Department of Learning and Leadership
- COVID Social Mobility and Opportunities Study (COSMO)
- Previously: Getting into the zone and collaborating beyond academia | RFTRW: S14E04
- Research for the Real World
- More IOE podcasts