We create cutting-edge research focused on equalising opportunities across the life course. Our work seeks ways to improve education policy and wider practices to achieve this goal.
MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/0E0FhEIC
- What are we trying to achieve?
We are one of the most unequal countries in the developed world, in terms of outcomes and opportunities.
Our multidisciplinary work seeks to reduce these inequalities:
- We identify barriers to opportunity in under-explored areas, using innovative methods and thinking, and co-producing evidence-led policy solutions to reduce barriers to opportunities.
- We offer insight and impact at every stage of the life course, through the centre’s four main research streams: early years, schools, tertiary, and adulthood.
- How do we achieve our mission?
- We research previously unanswerable questions, through innovative data collection and analysis.
- We design, implement, and evaluate Randomised Control Trials (RCTs).
- We address novel questions in under-researched areas using existing large scale data from administrative sources, and from our rich birth cohort studies.
More about our approaches.
We believe a holistic approach is vital to create informed education policy and wider practice that works. The centre's multidisciplinary team brings together different perspectives from:
- social statistics.
- Professor Lindsey Macmillan – Centre Director
- Professor Gillian Wyness – Deputy Centre Director
- Dr Jake Anders – Deputy Centre Director
- Dr Claire Crawford - Associate Professor
- Dr Jo Van Herwegen – Associate Professor
- Dr Samuel Sims – Lecturer
- Dr Laura Outhwaite - Senior Research Fellow
- Dr Asma Benhenda – Senior Research Fellow
- Dr Richard Branch – Visiting Staff
- Naomi Yohendran – Communications Officer
- Shola Adesanya – Centre Manager
- Claire Tyler – Research Fellow
- Xin Shao – Research Fellow
- Alice De Gennaro – Research Assistant
- Oliver Cassagneau-Francis – Research Fellow
- Dominic Kelly – Research Fellow
Members who share an interest in our research programme and support our mission:
- Dr Jo Blanden – University of Surrey
- Professor Simon Burgess – University of Bristol
- Dr Matt Dickson – IPR, University of Bath
- Dr Catherine Dilnot – Oxford Brookes University
- Professor Emla Fitzsimons – UCL Institute of Education
- Professor Alissa Goodman – UCL Institute of Education
- Professor Colin Green – Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Professor Paul Gregg – University of Bath
- Professor Colm Harmon – University of Edinburgh
- Dr Susannah Hume - King’s Policy Institute
- Professor John Jerrim – UCL Institute of Education
- Professor Ruth Lupton – Honorary Professor at University of Manchester
- Professor Lee Elliot-Major – University of Exeter
- Professor Sandra McNally – CVER, London School of Economics
- Dr Richard Murphy – University of Texas at Austin
- Dr Michael Sanders – King’s Policy Institute
- Dr Luke Sibieta – Institute for Fiscal Studies and Sibieta Economics of Education
- Professor Emma Tominey – University of York
- Tom Richmond - Founder and Director, EDSK
- Tim Leunig - Senior Policy Adviser to the Secretary of State, Department for Health and Social Care
- Osama Rahman - Director of the Data Science Campus, Office for National Statistics
- Carl Cullinane - Director of Research and Policy, Sutton Trust
- Tom McBride - Director - Ending Youth Violence Lab
- Torsten Bell - Chief Executive, RES Foundation
- Becky Francis - Chief Executive, Education Endowment Foundation
- Jonathan Simons - Partner and Head of the Education Practice at Public First
- Alison Fuller – Professor of Vocational Education and Work, IOE
- Lynn Ang – Pro-Director Research, IOE
- Susan O'Neill - Head of the Department of Learning and Leadership (DLL) at IOE, UCL's Faculty of Education and Society
- Li Wei - Director and Dean of IOE, UCL's Faculty of Education and Society
- Jennifer Hudson - Executive Dean - Faculty of Social & Historical Sciences; Vice-Dean - Equality, Diversity & Inclusion; Director - Development Engagement Lab