We create cutting-edge research focused on equalising opportunities across the life course. Our work seeks ways to improve education policy and wider practices to achieve this goal.
MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/0E0FhEIC
- What are we trying to achieve?
We are one of the most unequal countries in the developed world, in terms of outcomes and opportunities.
Our multidisciplinary work seeks to reduce these inequalities:
- We identify barriers to opportunity in under-explored areas, using innovative methods and thinking, and co-producing evidence-led policy solutions to reduce barriers to opportunities.
- We offer insight and impact at every stage of the life course, through the centre’s four main research streams: early years, schools, tertiary, and adulthood.
- How do we achieve our mission?
- We research previously unanswerable questions, through innovative data collection and analysis.
- We design, implement, and evaluate Randomised Control Trials (RCTs).
- We address novel questions in under-researched areas using existing large scale data from administrative sources, and from our rich birth cohort studies.
More about our approaches.
We believe a holistic approach is vital to create informed education policy and wider practice that works. The centre's multidisciplinary team brings together different perspectives from:
- social statistics.
- Professor Lindsey Macmillan – Centre Director
- Professor Gillian Wyness – Deputy Centre Director
- Dr Jake Anders – Deputy Centre Director
- Dr Claire Crawford - Associate Professor
- Dr Jo Van Herwegen – Associate Professor
- Dr Samuel Sims – Lecturer
- Dr Laura Outhwaite - Senior Research Fellow
- Dr Asma Benhenda – Post-Doctoral Research Fellow
- Dr Richard Branch – Visiting Staff
- Dr Erin Early - Research Assistant
- Shola Adesanya – Centre Manager
- Claire Tyler – Research Fellow
- Xin Shao – Research Fellow
- Alice De Gennaro – Research Assistant
Members who share an interest in our research programme and support our mission:
- Dr Jo Blanden – University of Surrey
- Professor Simon Burgess – University of Bristol
- Dr Matt Dickson – IPR, University of Bath
- Dr Catherine Dilnot – Oxford Brookes University
- Professor Emla Fitzsimons – UCL Institute of Education
- Professor Alissa Goodman – UCL Institute of Education
- Professor Colin Green – Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Professor Paul Gregg – University of Bath
- Professor Colm Harmon – University of Edinburgh
- Dr Susannah Hume - King’s Policy Institute
- Professor John Jerrim – UCL Institute of Education
- Professor Ruth Lupton – Honorary Professor at University of Manchester
- Professor Lee Elliot-Major – University of Exeter
- Professor Sandra McNally – CVER, London School of Economics
- Dr Richard Murphy – University of Texas at Austin
- Dr Michael Sanders – King’s Policy Institute
- Dr Luke Sibieta – Institute for Fiscal Studies and Sibieta Economics of Education
- Professor Emma Tominey – University of York
- Osama Rahman – Chief Scientific Advisor, Department for Education
- Carl Cullinane – Associate Director of Research and Policy, Sutton Trust
- Tom McBride – Director of Evidence, Early Intervention Foundation
- Tom Richmond – Director, EDSK
- Becky Francis – Chief Executive, Education Endowment Foundation
- Vanessa Ogden – Chief Executive, Mulberry Schools Trust
- Torsten Bell – Chief Executive, RES Foundation
- Tim Leunig – Economic Advisor to the Chancellor, HM Treasury
- Jan Parnell – Director of Education, Hammersmith and Fulham LEA
- Sue Rogers – Professor of Early Years Education, IOE
- Alison Fuller – Professor of Vocational Education and Work, IOE
- Lynn Ang – Pro-Director Research, IOE
- Sasha Roseneil – Dean, UCL Social and Historical Sciences