All MSc students complete a dissertation or project looking at an aspect of informatics, normally related to their work. This gives students the opportunity to frame their own research questions and carry out a significant piece of research within a real clinical environment. The aim of this course is to develop the student’s ability to undertake independent research particularly in relation to:
- Critical reviewing the relevant literature
- Planning and application of one or more appropriate research techniques
- Managing time and resources to meet a deadline
- Addressing ethics issues where appropriate
- Data analysis
- Evaluation of the results
- Effective presentation of research findings
2020: 20 October (Supervisor Fair), 17 November & 15 December.
2021: 19 January, 16 February. 16 March, 20 April, 18 May, 15 June & 13 July.
Project proposal submission: 25 January 2021, 4:30pm. Journal paper submission: 01 September 2021, 4:30pm
Who can study this course?
MSc Health Informatics students
Open to all UCL MSc Health Informatics students who have or are in the process of completing the eight taught modules.
Independent research project
Proposal (20%). Journal paper (80%)
Selected reading list
Dependent on project area