Information regarding the UCL University Management Committee's formal powers and responsibilities.
Subject to the powers and duties of Council and to the powers delegated by Council to Academic Board:
- To take decisions in relation to all aspects of the university’s executive and academic functions, and to be accountable for those decisions through the President & Provost to the UCL Council;
- To oversee progress against academic and operational strategy, monitoring the performance of the constituent parts of UCL against a range of key performance indicators and other contextual data;
- To consider institution-wide or other significant policies to comply with university and/or external statutory or regulatory requirements;
- To consider and interpret the external strategic environment, including changes in government policy and sector developments, and to identify and act on their implications for UCL;
- To oversee and monitor closely the financial position of the university, including the proposal of the budget to Council and the allocation of funds within the parameters set by Council;
- To ensure the identification and evaluation of key risks that threaten the achievement of the university’s aims, and that a register of those risks is maintained and actively managed;
- To consider internal audit reports prior to their submission to Council’s Audit Committee and to ensure that effective management action is taken;
- To oversee the effective health and safety management of the university;
- To oversee, advise and direct action on the requirements of the Office for Students;
- To mandate effective response to immediate and unexpected operational pressures;
- To ensure effective reputation management for the university, and ensure effective co-ordination of relationships with government and key institutional partners;
- To oversee the effective operations of UMC committees and their implementation of strategic decisions.